Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com> on 2016/07/20 19:26:09 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Apache Annotator

Hi all,

Annotator now has a full list of Mentors and a champion. We've got a good (and eager) list of committers from the existing AnnotatorJS.org community, the Web Annotation community, and the ASF.

Our full proposal is here:
https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/AnnotatorProposal

Please let me know your thoughts on this proposal, as we're eager to move forward. ^_^

Cheers!
Benjamin
--
http://bigbluehat.com/
http://linkedin.com/in/benjaminyoung

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Annotator

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com> wrote:
> ...I know this is a different sort of project for the ASF at this epoch: it's not
> big data, it's not from NASA, it doesn't spin up VMs, map/reduce
> anything, etc....

Oh don't get me wrong, that's fantastic!
Having a diverse set of projects is great.

-Bertrand

RE: [PROPOSAL] Apache Annotator

Posted by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com>.
Good thought, Bertrand! I'll clear that up in a revision soon.

AnnotatorJS's code actually pre-dates (and is in part the reason for) the W3C's Annotation Working Group (which I'm a part of fwiw). Now that we've got a handful of specs out the door (much of it based on the influence of this code), the hope is to get all the interested parties together in a safe, collaborative space (aka the ASF ^_^), and get to work on Annotator's future.

I know this is a different sort of project for the ASF at this epoch: it's not big data, it's not from NASA, it doesn't spin up VMs, map/reduce anything, etc. However, the Apache Way is something this community could definitely benefit from and it's something they'd like to get started learning and doing soon. :)

If there's more I can do to make this more interesting to the ASF and other collaborators here, do tell. :)

Thanks!
Benjamin
--
http://bigbluehat.com/