Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Felix Röthenbacher <fr...@apache.org> on 2009/02/09 10:16:32 UTC

Re: [2.2] Java 1.5

Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
> Hi Felix,
>
> froethenbacher@apache.org schrieb:
>> Author: froethenbacher
>> Date: Mon Feb  9 03:38:58 2009
>> New Revision: 742243

>> Log:
>> Refactored Lenya UUID generation using Java provided UUID generator.
>> Removed then obsolete dependencies on Axis.
>
> […]
>
>> +import java.util.UUID;
>
> so I guess from now on we'll require Java 1.5, I hope everybody is OK
> with that.

Yep! Btw Cocoon 2.2 also requires Java 5.

Haven't tested the UUID generator yet, though it seems to be quite
flexible.

> Should we also allow to use generics? IMO it would be reasonable to
> leverage the useful features of 1.5.

+1 for generics

- Felix

Re: [2.2] Java 1.5

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 22:16 +1300, Felix Röthenbacher wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
> >
> > Should we also allow to use generics? IMO it would be reasonable to
> > leverage the useful features of 1.5.
>
> +1 for generics

+1
Open Source <consulting, training and solutions>

Re: [2.2] Java 1.5

Posted by Felix Roethenbacher <fr...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Felix Roethenbacher schrieb:
>> Felix Röthenbacher wrote:

>>> Yep! Btw Cocoon 2.2 also requires Java 5.
>>>
>>> Haven't tested the UUID generator yet, though it seems to be quite
>>> flexible.

>>> +1 for generics
>>
>> Though I'm all in for generics, I think it's important to focus on
>> - and it should be our no. 1 goal - having a running Lenya system
>> again before introducing generics  (and changing a whole lot of
>> method signatures) or doing any other refactoring not
>> related to the migration.
>
> I have the feeling refactoring could be very useful even now. It looks
> like a lot of dependencies are actually unnecessary; removing them will
> make the bean wiring etc. much easier. For instance, I'd like to remove
> the repository handling stuff (o.a.lenya.cms.repository) from the core.
> This way, client code that penetrates the publication layer and accesses
> the repository directly can be isolated and, hopefully, improved.

This sounds like a major refactoring task. As said before I'd highly
recommond to focus on having a running Lenya system before doing
any refactoring. The Lenya 2.1 code should run with Cocoon 2.2
without major code changes if configured properly. This includes
Avalon components thanks to Cocoon's avalon-bridge.

Changing code and introducing new API's while migrating
involves the risk of loosing track of the basic migration tasks.
It's also hard to track down any bugs which might be introduced
by the code/API changes and which are not necessarily related
to the migration. Further it's not possible to regression
test any code changes if the system is not functional.

I agree that a lot of dependencies might be unnecessary. But this
should be looked at in a second step after re-establishing a
functional Lenya.

- Felix

Re: [2.2] Java 1.5

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.