Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> on 2006/02/13 19:02:01 UTC

offline deployment with deploy distribute?

Hi,

Still working on the G integration in Cargo. I need to find a way to deploy
an archive before the container is started. I read on
http://tinyurl.com/8dfxj that I should use the distribute command with the
--offline option.

I'm using G 1.0 and it's failing:

C:\apps\geronimo-1.0-tomcat\bin>java -jar deployer.jar --offline distribute
C:\dev\m2book\code\j2ee\daytrader\ear\target\daytrader-ear-1.0-SNAPSHOT.ear
C:\dev\m2book\code\j2ee\daytrader\ear\src\main\deployment\dayTrader-plan.xml

    Error: No such command: '--offline'

Command-line deployer syntax:
    deployer [general options] command [command options]

[...]

If I don't use --offline I get:

C:\apps\geronimo-1.0-tomcat\bin>java -jar deployer.jar distribute
C:\dev\m2book\code\j2ee\daytrader\ear\target\daytrader-ear-1.0-SNAPSHOT.ear
C:\dev\m2book\code\j2ee\daytrader\ear\src\main\deployment\dayTrader-plan.xml
    Error: Unable to connect to server at deployer:geronimo:jmx --
    javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException [Root exception is
    java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: localhost;
    nested exception is:

        java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect]

Any idea? Is the --offline option supported in G 1.0?

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: offline deployment with deploy distribute?

Posted by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org>.
On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 02:14:51PM -0500, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> I'm not sure if there's a JIRA for this or not -- if you get a chance,
> can you review the JIRAs in the "deployment" category and see if
> there's one discussing offline deployment and if not add one and
> describe why you need it?

Please see http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1507 for a
start at an offline deploy tool based on David's Maven plugins.
Haven't had much time to look into it recently but if there was at
least one other person interested it would be easier to raise its
priority level higher than "Top Gear" re-runs :)

Toby

RE: Cargo and G (was RE: offline deployment with deploy distribute?)

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Yep we're a bit late. BTW if you want to use the latest cargo snapshots you
can get them from the Cargo m2 repository on:
http://cargo.codehaus.org/dist2-snapshot/

> So similar to Tomcat 5.5.x container support, does v0.8 impose a
> requirement of JDK 1.5 while using goals for Jetty 5.x ?

AFAIK Jetty 5.x runs with JDK 1.4.

-Vincent

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Vincent,

That's excellent. I guess the Container support on the Cargo home site
is not updated yet. That's fine.

So similar to Tomcat 5.5.x container support, does v0.8 impose a
requirement of JDK 1.5 while using goals for Jetty 5.x ?

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Prasad,

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Ok that explains a few things! Thanks for mentioning it.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Aaron,

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
For the record I got the answer on IRC: Apparently (and unfortunately) this
--offline feature was removed before the 1.0 release.

So there's no way in G 1.0 to perform a deploy distribute without the
container being started... So I need to fin another way to implement G
support in Cargo.

Thanks
-Vincent