Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2015/09/12 08:21:50 UTC

[FlexJS] Apps, Apache, and Dog Food

Hi,

I just got a new FlexJS up and running.  It is a first attempt at a
dashboard app for Apache Flex.  The Flash version is at [1], the HTML
version is at [2], the source is at [3].  The source is managed in the
flex-examples repo.

[1] http://s.apache.org/ajs
[2] http://s.apache.org/Myt
[3] http://s.apache.org/rCV

Recently, I’ve had a few conversations with potential FlexJS customers
where they asked if anybody was using FlexJS in production.  If everyone
waits for someone else to be first, nobody will be first, so why not us?
Using FlexJS to create a production application would not only force us to
find bugs and missing features and stabilize the code, it will serve as
that first testimonial.

Sure, we have examples in the release, but I want to create something
those of us involved in the project and those learning about the project
find useful.  At a few companies I’ve worked for, this is known as ‘eating
your own dog food’ or ‘the dog food principle’.  If you don’t know what
its like to be a customer, you may not create the right product.

On Apache-wide mailing lists, I’ve occasionally seen threads about how
GitHub is easier to work with because it is more centralized.  For
example, see the Apache Flex SDK GitHub mirror [4], or even better, a
GitHub project that isn’t a mirror like Google Closure Library [5].
Everything you need is right there on that page or a click away.  Compare
that to Apache projects where you have to go to another domain and UI for
bugs and yet another domain for releases.  Flex/FlexJS should be the right
technology to create a more centralized experience for Apache projects.

Now I’m not a designer by any means so I am definitely looking for others
to help design and build out this dashboard.

BTW, there appears to be a couple of bumps in the road right now.  I don’t
think Apache lets us run server-side code on flex.a.o, and Apache doesn’t
seem to support cross-domain access from other subdomains within a.o.  If
you’ve hit the links below you may have noticed that this dashboard is
currently running on builds.a.o, because to get around these limitations,
I am using Jenkins sort of like a proxy server.  When the build runs
daily, it fetches new information and stores it locally to the app.

Anyway, I’d like to get ideas on what else we could add to this dashboard.
 My next task is to data-mine the number of committers and PMC members we
have, and then try to get number of mailing list subscribers.  But what
else?  A graph of commit activity?  A map of where the committers live?  A
carousel of images of the committers?  Of course, I am looking for
volunteers to implement these ideas.  And meanwhile, I am going to see if
other Apache projects are interested.

You can see that it is mostly buttons right now that launch other browser
windows, but if we get really ambitious, and we can get a cross-domain
access or a proxy server, instead of jumping out to JIRA, we’d write a
search UI in Flex.  Ideally, you would never jump out of Flex, you could
participate in mailing list discussions and start your release downloads
from within this app.

Thoughts?
-Alex

[4] https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk
[5] https://github.com/google/closure-library

Re: [FlexJS] Apps, Apache, and Dog Food

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
These are all great ideas.
Here’s some more:

1) A widget with latest tweets/ ApacheFlex hash tags..
2) Responsive design for mobile
3) A timeline of releases.
4) A timeline of bug fixes.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
There’s also the following:
1. a 2 pixel margin in Flash and a 8 pixel margin in HTML.
2. Comboboxes are fixed width in Flash, and dynamic width in HTML
3. titleLabel is vertically centered in HTML (better), but not in Flash.
4. Space between the buttons and the text look better in Flash.

All in all, this is pretty impressive! :-)

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Yes. Nothing like trying to step through a problem for learning. I’m going to try and run this app through FlexJS on Wednesday. (I have no time until then.)

There’s a couple of other quirks that I’d like to examine (like the positioning of “Apache Flex” is different in the HTML version than the Flash version).

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I fixed a few more issues and added min-size and resizing.  I saw the app
come up correctly on IE, Safari and FF on Mac, and more importantly, on my
Android phone and Peter reported success on iPhone.  The UI isn’t
responsive but at least it shows up correctly.

Peter is re-factoring how non-content children are handled, and I found a
bug in HorizontalLayout on the AS side.  Once these are in, we should be
ok to open the discuss thread for releasing.

-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Looks good to me on FF now.

Frédéric THOMAS

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Inspecting the HTML in Chrome and Firefox shows the following:

Chrome has the following style for the buttonAndLabel class: style="position: relative; display: block; height: 42px;”

Firefox has the following: style="position: relative; display: block;"

What sets the height? Is it Javascript that’s not being run correctly?

FWIW, I’m getting no errors in the console in Firefox, but I am getting the following in Chrome:

Refused to set unsafe header "Content-length"aq.(anonymous function).send @ ProjectDashboard.js:166
HTTPService.js:392 Refused to set unsafe header "Connection"aq.(anonymous function).send @ HTTPService.js:392
https://builds.apache.org/view/E-G/view/Flex/job/flex-productdashboard/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/ProductDashboard/bin/js-release/undefined Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
Language.js:176 issuesArrived

I’m also getting the following message in Firefox:
The Web Console logging API (console.log, console.info, console.warn, console.error) has been disabled by a script on this page.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Amazing! :)

Alex, just a bug I found on the Flash version: If you click the product
release combo and then click another combo, the popup list in the first one
does not close and gets some displacement down in the Y axis.

I think you are right, and would love to get some time and try to make some
examples. For me is always a matter of having the time to play with it in
my current situation.

FlexJS is evolving great! :)

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

oficinas c/ Tres Creus, nº 104, 2-1, 08202 de Sabadell (Barcelona) con la
documentación necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Apps, Apache, and Dog Food

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
I am also getting some css warnings in Firefox:

Unknown property 'effect-timer-interval'.  Declaration dropped. ProjectDashboard.css:23:30
Unknown property 'speak'.  Declaration dropped. ProjectDashboard.css:83:14
Unknown property 'speak'.  Declaration dropped. ProjectDashboard.css:106:14
Unknown property 'speak'.  Declaration dropped. ProjectDashboard.css:129:14
Expected color but found 'none'.  Expected end of value but found ','.  Error in parsing value for 'outline'.  Declaration dropped. ProjectDashboard.css:169:18
Expected end of value but found ','.  Error in parsing value for 'margin'.  Declaration dropped. ProjectDashboard.css:197:20
Unknown property 'speak'.  Declaration dropped. ProjectDashboard.css:289:14
Unknown property 'speak'.  Declaration dropped. ProjectDashboard.css:312:14
Unknown property 'speak'.  Declaration dropped. ProjectDashboard.css:335:14
Expected color but found 'none'.  Expected end of value but found ','.  Error in parsing value for 'outline'.  Declaration dropped. ProjectDashboard.css:375:18

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.