Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Amick, Eric" <Er...@mail.house.gov> on 2009/09/28 17:34:57 UTC

Confusion about border-collapse

The border-collapse property is listed as having an initial value of
"collapse" in the spec, but the description refers to CSS, where the
default value is "separate". I also encountered a case where FOP
apparently acted as if the default value was "separate"; I need to
create a smaller test case before submitting a bug report. Has anyone
run across this behavior in 0.95?

Eric Amick   Systems Engineer II

U.S. House of Representatives  |  Office of the Clerk  |  Legislative
Computer Systems
Office: 202-225-1182

http://clerk.house.gov <http://clerk.house.gov/>

Re: Confusion about border-collapse

Posted by Venkat Reddy <va...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Yes, the FOP Compliance report refers to CSS specification for
'border-collapse' property. The FOP compliance report is saying
'collapse' as the default, but the CSS spec saying 'seperate'. As I have
checked through the FOP property list, the default again given as
'collapse'. see below from foproperties.xml

<property>
<name>border-collapse</name>
<inherited>true</inherited>
<datatype>Enum</datatype>
<default>collapse</default>
<enumeration>
<value const="SEPARATE">separate</value>
<value const="COLLAPSE">collapse</value>
</enumeration>
</property>

If you have a test case, that will definitely help here....

Venkat.

Posted by "Amick, Eric" <Er...@mail.house.gov>.
I did realize that border-collapse was inherited, but I just now figured out where the inherited value was coming from. I missed it somehow when I was looking earlier; FOP is working correctly. Nonetheless, maybe we should suggest to W3C's FO working group to make it clearer in border-collapse's description that the default value described in CSS is different and should be ignored.

Eric Amick   Systems Engineer II
Legislative Computer Systems

> The border-collapse property is listed as having an initial value of
> "collapse" in the spec, but the description refers to CSS, where the
> default value is "separate". I also encountered a case where FOP
> apparently acted as if the default value was "separate"; I need to
> create a smaller test case before submitting a bug report. Has anyone
> run across this behavior in 0.95?

FOP uses ‘collapse’ as the default value. Note that border-collapse is
an inherited property; So if you set it to ‘separate’ on an enclosing
table and leave it unspecified on an inner table, then it will be set to
the inherited ‘separate’ value.

If the output is still not what you would expect, please post a small FO
file showing the problem.

Thanks,
Vincent

Re: Confusion about border-collapse