Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@crashcourse.ca> on 2011/04/01 19:13:56 UTC

Re: what exactly does it mean to run multiple tomcat "instances"?

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Robert,
>
> On 3/31/2011 9:07 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > i'd eventually deduced most of that.  i think it would be useful if
> > that were explained more forcefully in the RUNNING.txt file since it's
> > not immediately obvious.
>
> - From RUNNING.txt:
>
> " When you use $CATALINA_BASE, Tomcat will calculate all relative
> references for files in the following directories based on the value
> of $CATALINA_BASE instead of $CATALINA_HOME:
>
> * bin  - Only setenv.sh (*nix), setenv.bat (windows) and tomcat-juli.jar
>
> * conf - Server configuration files (including server.xml)
> "
>
> So... it specifically tells you that it will use your own
> conf/server.xml file. Would you like an additional reinforcing statement?

  why, yes, thanks for asking so politely. :-)  because if you read
further down in that RUNNING.txt file, you see:

================
Troubleshooting
================

There are only really 3 things likely to go wrong during the stand-alone
Tomcat install:

(1) The most common hiccup is when another web server (or any process for that
    matter) has laid claim to port 8080.  This is the default HTTP port that
    Tomcat attempts to bind to at startup.  To change this, open the file:

       $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml

    and search for '8080'.  Change it to a port that isn't in use, and is
    greater than 1024, as ports less than or equal to 1024 require superuser
    access to bind under UNIX.

   Restart Tomcat and you're in business.  Be sure that you replace the "8080"
   in the URL you're using to access Tomcat.  For example, if you change the
   port to 1977, you would request the URL http://localhost:1977/ in your browser.

now correct me if i'm wrong, but since we just established that you
need to reassign more than just the main (8080) server port, to then
subsequently claim that all you need to do to avoid a conflict is to
reassign the main (8080) server port would be incorrect, would it not?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

Re: what exactly does it mean to run multiple tomcat "instances"?

Posted by "Robert P. J. Day" <rp...@crashcourse.ca>.
On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Robert,
>
> On 4/1/2011 1:13 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, Christopher Schultz wrote:
> >> So... it specifically tells you that it will use your own
> >> conf/server.xml file. Would you like an additional reinforcing statement?
> >
> > Why, yes, thanks for asking so politely. :-)  because if you read
> > further down in that RUNNING.txt file, you see:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > now correct me if i'm wrong, but since we just established that you
> > need to reassign more than just the main (8080) server port, to then
> > subsequently claim that all you need to do to avoid a conflict is to
> > reassign the main (8080) server port would be incorrect, would it not?
>
> That's just the most common problem: since servers /other/ than Tomcat
> often bind to port 8080, Tomcat may interfere with some other non-Tomcat
> process. You're point is valid, though: there are many potentially
> conflicting port numbers in server.xml.
>
> Patches, even for documentation, are always welcome...

  as i'm still working my way thru the docs, i don't think i'm ready
to start submitting patches just yet.  give me a few days ...

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

Re: what exactly does it mean to run multiple tomcat "instances"?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.