Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Dhiraj Saxena <dh...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/09 13:13:06 UTC

Difference between Sales Order and Purchase Order

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me about "Difference between Sales Order and Purchase Order"
as development point of view.
What things I have to keep in mind when I create any one of them.

Thanks,
Dhiraj

Re: Difference between Sales Order and Purchase Order

Posted by Harsha Chadhar <ha...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Dhiraj following can be helpful:

Sales and purchase order have many similar characteristics;the
relationships and datastructures in both are similar but they differ in
the matter of perspective and the parties and operations involved in it.

Order is  composed of ORDERITEMS that involve the PRODUCT that are meant
for sales or has to be purchased.The sales and Purchase order are
Identified by the ORDERSUBTYPE attribute i.e SALES_ORDER or PURCHASE_ORDER .

Sales and Purchase order involve different parties that may be from
buying side or selling side.For instance:Organization(Party) involved in
the sales order model is the CUSTOMER(customer), and party involved in
the o purchase order is the SUPPLIER,though there could be several
parties involved in Order that may assume several PartyRoles.

Also There are several contact mechanisms involved in Order,i.e where
the order is to be billed or shipped.There could be more than one
destination address for Sales order but only one for Purchase Order as
the Sales order destination is decided on the basis of CUSTOMER's
destination.

Regards
Harsha