Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2015/01/20 15:28:27 UTC

Incubating with Apache Commons as champion?

The discussion on dev@commons about coming-to-Apache Commons-RDF
(https://github.com/commons-rdf/commons-rdf/) seems to be rejecting a
Apache Commons as a project - the ideal committer on Apache Commons is
caring about all its components (avoiding the Jakarta pitfalls).

We had not considered becoming a TLP as once the API (mainly a set of
interfaces) is settled, by then it will probably be pretty much a
quiet project except the odd maintenance patch - and also by being a
common component of several RDF projects within Apache, its best home
then would be under Commons (presumably with most of the original
committers still involved).

However the large traffic of dev@commons (~400/month) about all the
other components can be a problem for trying to engage the non-Apache
community around commons-rdf while we flesh out the API. (This has
currently been done solely through Github issues, pull requests, and
"watching" the project).

In a way we are limited by the technology of the Apache mailing lists.
(I know, I know...).

(I mentioned gitlab.com )

The suggestion is that Commons-RDF could be a incubator project, but
with a projected path to become part of the Apache Commons instead of
a TLP.  (I believe this path has not happened before)

So this would be using the old structure of having a champion of
Apache Commons - could this be a workable incubator project?

In a way it would be incubating just the code until API maturity
rather than the community or "Apache Way" as both of those already
exist.

In such an (old skool) setup, would it be the Commons PMC /
dev@commons who would vote over the incubating releases?

Once "graduating" it would just become a component under Apache
Commons and the community would just be dev@commons where the
committers would already be members - the dev@rdf.incubator list would
simply close.

.. and where would mentors come from? Would existing committers from
those other Apache projects (Jena, Marmotta, Clerezza) be enough - or
should it be someone from IMPC or from dev@commons?

See http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201501.mbox/%3CCAB917RLJE%2BgFEpw%3Dyp-c-HpXEnvL12JZLLpc4wphGyjGH_6%3D9Q%40mail.gmail.com%3E
for the whole threads :)

Posted by Sergio Fernández <se...@salzburgresearch.at>.
> The suggestion is that Commons-RDF could be a incubator project, but
> with a projected path to become part of the Apache Commons instead of
> a TLP.  (I believe this path has not happened before)

It did happened before:

http://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.general+vote+graduate+subproject+commons

--
Sergio Fernández
Senior Researcher

Re: Incubating with Apache Commons as champion?

Posted by Sergio Fernández <se...@salzburgresearch.at>.
On 20/01/15 16:08, Rob Vesse wrote:
> On the other hand does Commons-RDF necessarily need to come to the ASF at
> all?  If it is a small self-contained interface module that will remain
> stable what does it gain (other than brand association) by coming to the
> ASF?

Well, this question eventually came across because a collision with
another project proposed to Apache Commons Sandbox, issue extensively
discuss at GitHub:

https://github.com/commons-rdf/commons-rdf/issues/43

and it's what created all these discussion.

In case we propose Commons RDF for incubation, the background will be
properly discussed in the proposal.

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
I hear what Stian is saying about the noise in Commons. If the team feel its not going to work for them then the incubator might be the right route.

IMHO there is no reason why you couldn't be sponsored by the commons PMC.

You would still need the IPMC to clear releases but that means three IPMC +1 votes. I'm not sure when this became a requirement for an IPMC vote. It used to be that the IPMC was notified. I always ensured that the mentors all voted first (incidentally this is a good check point to see if mentors are still active).

ASIDE: I strongly recommend a return to the original notification of a VOTE in progress. This is another example of unnecessary centralization of process in the IPMC. Control should be with the podlings and its mentors, oversight should be with the PMC. If anyone wants to respond to this make it a new thread please. Let's not distract from this conversation.

I see no reason why your project can't come here, and can graduate to commons if that is what is desired. Ensure you have enough mentors (must be IPMC members, which means ASF members although I can think of a few people on RDF projects I would be happy to vote onto the IPMC if necessary) to get 3 +1 release votes and ensure they are strong enough to tell the IPMC to get out of the way (when appropriate).

Ross

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BeanShellProposal  was voted -1 in
> the incubator because it had many Apache folks already and didn't need
> to learn anything. Yet the project didn't move into Apache - perhaps
> because it didn't have any pressure or framework to go through the
> Incubator process?

BeanShell got stuck because nobody had enough time and energy to invest
on it after questions had been asked. A new "release" of BeanShell (for
a generic use of the term, not an Apache Release) was uploaded in the
tarball repository of OpenOffice dependencies and that's it. The reason
is simply that people involved preferred to spend their time and energy
in other ways.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Incubating with Apache Commons as champion?

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.
Agreed

The point that I was trying to make is that if those involved already
understand the Apache Way going through Incubation for the sake of it
seems a pointless exercise especially when the legal/IP aspects of things
can be handled in other fashions.  If you are in a position to simply
contribute the code directly to the TLP you expect it to live under and
the TLP in question is receptive to that then it is a viable option to
consider.

I'm not saying that Incubation shouldn't happen but that you should
consider if it actually brings the project in question any tangible
benefits.

There seems to be an assumption that coming through the Incubator is the
how you would grow the community but that activity is perfectly capable of
happening in the context of a TLP.  One of the key activities of the PMC
should be to continually try and bring in new members of the community
over time so that the project they are charged with managing does not
stagnate.

It's worth remembering that the Incubator itself does not provide much in
the way of help in terms of growing communities since that is something
that really only the incubating projects themselves can do.

Rob

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
It's not for the IPMC to decide commons policy. If they feel another mailing list is not appropriate that is their call.

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
I agree that incoming codebase can go through the IP Clearance, and if the
committers are already Commons folks (predominantly), and the only actual
issue is the number of mails on the dev@, then I think that separate
mailing list is fine, perhaps with the exception of not having a name
related to the RDF component, perhaps design-in-progress@ or other
indicator that a particular activity is happening there.

Niclas

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: Incubating with Apache Commons as champion?

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.
Stian