Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by kristina clair <kc...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/26 21:24:57 UTC

[users@httpd] symlink not allowed problem

Hello Apache Users,

I'm using Apache 2.0.55

I'm trying to have apache follow a symlink that is outside of the
documentroot tree.
The requests would look like http://servername/aliastodirectory/subdirectory

So, I have an alias pointing to the directory:

Alias /aliastodirectory/ /path/to/directory

And then I was trying to use a Directory directive to allow the symlink:

<Directory /path/to/directory>
     Options +FollowSymLinks
</Directory>

But I'm still getting a Symlink not allowed error when I try to access
the subdirectory, which is a symlink.  One caveat to this is that the
directory which the subdirectory points to is also a symlink.  So the
symlinks look like this:
/path/to/directory/subdirectory -> /path/to/anotherdirectory/subdirectory
/path/to/anotherdirectory/subdirectory -> /path/to/finaldirectory/subdirectory

Is my problem due to the fact that there are two levels of symlinks?
And if so, is there a way around that?

Thanks,
Kristina

--
"In most cases, people, even wicked people, are far more naive and
simple-hearted than one generally assumes.  And so are we."