Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com> on 2008/01/25 16:22:40 UTC

Mixin nudge

Hi,

After writing my "newlines" binding, I got to thinking that it might be nice
if it were just a mixin.  I started digging in, but couldn't really wrap my
head around modifying the parent component's bound value.

What I'm looking to do is is basically a value filter.  I'd like the mixin
to take the value, apply its filter, and pass on to the next mixin or
component in the chain.  I've actually got several other candidate
operations in mind as well (truncation, capitalization, URLification).

Right now I'm a bit stuck getting the value and storing it back in.  It
looks like mixins are set up primarily to render something before or after
the component, but not necessarily change the component's state.  So, I'm
not really sure how to go about this.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Mixin nudge

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@scazdl.org>.
Hi Kevin,

I wonder if you could use mixin parameters for this?
Since the value to be operated on is likely to have different names
for different components (certainly no guaranteed name), it seems like
specifying a mixin parameter which tapestry will "autobind" is perhaps
the way to go?
Then you could make your adjustments in (probably) begin render?

Robert