Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by CD...@hannaford.com on 2006/08/24 21:03:07 UTC

Creating a Pluto 2.0 branch

IBM has contracted with a group at the University of Jena in Germany to
help create the reference implementation of JSR-286 to be hosted at
Apache. David and I have been in contact with this group, which is headed
by Torsten Dettborn, a member of the JSR-286 Expert Group. Torsten's group
has done some work on the JSR-286 RI based on Pluto 1.1 that they want to
contribute to our repository.

Unless anyone objects, I would like to create a Pluto 2.0 branch in SVN to
house the JSR-286 Reference Implementation code. The starting point for
this branch will be the Pluto 1.1 code now in our SVN trunk.

This is a great chance for the community to contribute to the JSR-286 RI
and get an early look at an implementation of the developing JSR-286 spec.
/Craig

Re: Creating a Pluto 2.0 branch

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.
On 8/24/06, CDoremus@hannaford.com <CD...@hannaford.com> wrote:
> They are contributing code that builds on our current code base. I do not
> see why it has to go through the incubation process. Like Tomcat, which revs
> up a version for a new servlet/JSP spec, we are creating a new version that
> corresponds to the new portlet spec.
> /Craig

The big difference is that "they" in the tomcat case, is apache
committers. Here, we don't know who "they" is, and "they" are working
in the close, without communitty vetting of the code, and ignoring the
apache rules absolutely

Re: Creating a Pluto 2.0 branch

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
Stefan Hepper wrote:
> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>>Stefan Hepper wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>- what we are currently talking about is a prototype covering only the
>>>coordination features of the early draft 1, not a complete implementation
>>>- Apache has a seat in the JCP executive board and if Apache does not
>>>like the current JCP process because it is too closed it should work in
>>>the JCP EC to change the current process
>>
>>Apache has been a major force in pushing for JCP 2.6 which explicitely
>>allows open style working groups (section 2.1.1 of the JCP 2.6).
>>The actual choice of working style is defined by the JSR chair.
>>
> That is not completely true. Every EG member needs to approve working in
> such an open style. E.g. I asked the EG if we want to have a public
> mailing list or a closed one and some EG members preferred a closed one.

My point was that JCP does not impose any closed process anymore, it's a
choice made for JSR 286 by the Expert Group led by the spec lead.
I believe it's disingenuous to hide behind a non-exitent JCP constraint
to excuse the close process.

>>>- for JSR 286 the pluto community has much more seats than anyone else,
>>>every other company has only one seat
>>>- the JSR 286 EG, incl. the pluto committers,  voted for having a closed
>>>discussion until we have the first early public draft in order to keep
>>>the discussion in the EG focused and effective
>>>- the JSR 286 EG decided to publish at least two early drafts in order
>>>to give everyone the opportunity for comments and feedback, so I don't
>>>think things are done in the close
>>>
>>Things may not have been done as in the close as JSR 186 but they are
>>still far from a transparent process which you, as chair, could have
>>chosen for this JSR.
>>Given that choice, you need to accept that it does not mesh exactly with
>>the way an Apache community works and that your RI may not be accepted
>>as part of the Pluto project.
>>
> As said above you need to have an agreement in the EG about the working
> style. Agreed that the JSR 286 EG operates in a more closed manner than
> an Apache community.
> I would find it sad, but would accept it if the pluto community decides
> to not host the bases for the RI for JSR 286 and just provide an
> implementation of JSR 286.

I'm not sure what differences you make between "an implementation of JSR
286" and the "RI for JSR 286". To me, granting RI status on an
implementation of a JSR spec is the sole responsibility of the spec lead.
Since most people in pluto want to implement JSR 286, Pluto should aim
to be a powerful, spec compliant container.
What I would not like to see is some community produced feature freezed
out of Pluto because of a will to keep a "RI purity".

>>>When founding the pluto project my intention was that it will provide
>>>always the most current reference implementation, not just the V 1.0.
>>>This is also stated in the charter of pluto. Thus I would like to see
>>>V2.0 also be part of the pluto project.
>>
>>In a stricly legal sense, I don't think Pluto can be the RI since the RI
>>is under the responsibility of the spec chair. All it can be is a spec
>>compliant container that is the basis for the JSR RI.
>>
> I think it can be more as a specific drop of pluto could be submitted as
> RI like done in JSR 168. But I see your point and think we need to
> re-visit the current pluto agenda.

I agree that if the compliance is good enough, the RI could be a simple
snapshot of Pluto submitted by IBM, but it would not be Apache Pluto,
simply a derivative work.

>>>As said, what the Uni Jena did was just a prototype that they now want
>>>to discuss with the pluto community. I don't see why it should be
>>>something bad to first create a prototype in order to prove if some
>>>design works or not. Note that they used the most current 1.1 driver
>>>when starting this prototype work.
>>>Maybe we can set up a wiki for this and they can post the design docs
>>>and code there?
>>>
>>>To me it doesn't make sense to go to the incubator with the prototype.
>>>Why can't the V2.0 development not be done under the pluto umbrella?
>>>If Apache really requires us to go to the incubator I would rather do
>>>this with a complete implementation and not a half-baked prototype. But
>>>is this really what you guys want, getting a complete code drop?
>>
>> <snip>
>
> I would have been nice if you could have made yesterday's call. Please
> take a look at David's summary mail. I think it is not far off from your
> proposal.

I think we're on the same line on how to proceed going forward.
My only adjustment would be not to name the initial branch "pluto-2.0"
but something like "jsr286-prototype-1".
This will allow the possibility of having a "jsr286-proto2" if needed and
only when the work is more fleshed out, promote one of the prototype
branches to an "official" pluto 2.0 branch.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/

Re: Creating a Pluto 2.0 branch

Posted by Stefan Hepper <st...@apache.org>.
Raphaël Luta wrote:
> [Jumping in late...]
>
> Stefan Hepper wrote:
>

>> - IBM has contracted the University of Jena in order to provide the RI
>> and TCK. The goal was from the beginning to develop the RI at Apache
>> together with the pluto community.
>>

> It would have been good form to ask the whole portals community whether
> it was interested in helping in the 2.0 RI. All community members have
> an equal say in this matter and it's not IBM to decide.

As said I always assumed that was the goal of the pluto project as
stated in the first sentence of the pluto web site:
" Pluto is the Reference Implementation of the Java Portlet Specfication."
Maybe I just assumed too much and thus I apologize for not sending an
official request to the mailing list.

Stefan

Re: Creating a Pluto 2.0 branch

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
[Jumping in late...]

Stefan Hepper wrote:
> Sorry for being late in this discussion but I just returned today from
> my vacation.
>
> Let me first summarize some facts here:
> - the JCP process requires that the company of the spec lead provides a
> RI with the spec, for JSR 286 IBM needs to provide this RI

Correct but not really a concern for the Pluto community as such.

Posted by Stefan Hepper <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Craig Doremus <cd...@apache.org>.
Santiago:

At the first Expert Group face-to-face meeting, JSR-286 spec lead Stefan
Hepper told us:
1. IBM was contracting with the Univ of Jena to help produce the JSR-286
Reference Implementation.
2. He wants Apache Pluto to host the RI code
3. He wants to base the JSR-286 RI on Apache Pluto 1.1
There are seven Apache Portals committers, including Stefan, who are
members of the Expert Group, so many of us should have known that this
was coming. Another constraint is the Java Community Process (JCP) rules
that state that EG information should not be disclosed before the are
formally released in document form. The first early draft was released a
couple of weeks ago, which is why this discussion is happening now.
Stefan has been away on vacation for a couple of weeks, so hopefully he
will chime in when he gets back.

A couple of weeks ago, Torsten Dettborn of the Univ of Jena contacted
David and I about beginning the process of incorporating their work into
Pluto's SVN repository. Torsten's command of English is limited, which
may be the reason he has not chimed in yet on this thread. I have
invited Carsten Zeigler to participate in talks with Torsten to
facilitate communication between Apache and the Jena group. Although
Ulrich Kuster is a Pluto committer, Torsten told me that he has not been
involved with them since Jan-Feb.

I for one am very happy that we have a paid group that can dedicate
their time to building Pluto 2.0. David and I, and I understand, the
rest of the Pluto contributors, are volunteers. That does not diminish
our commitment to the project, but we have to fit it in when we can. We
all want to contribute to Pluto 2.0, but it is good that we have the
Univ of Jena group to help move the project forward.

Please excuse my presumption that the Pluto 2.0 branch creation process
was not any different from what we did with the Pluto 1.0.2 and Pluto
1.1 branch. I understand their are some historical reasons to proceed
cautiously, so please have the Portals PMC vote on this matter as soon
as possible. My only suggestion is that keeping track of the Jena
contributions is better done in Jira rather than on pluto-dev.
Nevertheless, I am willing to abide by what ever the PMC decides.

TIA
/Craig

Posted by Ulrich Küster <Ul...@uni-jena.de>.

Re: Creating a Pluto 2.0 branch

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
David H. DeWolf wrote:

> Santiago Gala wrote:
>

>> Now, if the components of such team have the whole communications on
>> pluto-dev, and they send patches (except for Ulrich, which is a
>> committer) that get integrated until they earn committership, the
>> process would not need to pass through the incubator.
>

> Great! Thanks for clarifying Santiago.  Now I think we know how this
> needs to be handled.
>
> Torsten, Stefan, and Ulrich, would you all mind chiming in to this
> discussion?  This is how I'd definitely like to see the work done.  Is
> that a possibility or is there something holding the Univ of Jena and
> IBM from working in this way.
>
> I really think that this type of collaboration would be beneficial to
> both the portlet development community as well as pluto community.  What
> do you think?  Can we take this approach?  I have just become an
> independent contractor in order to focus more time on my open source and
> pluto development.   I'm committed to helping evaluate and commit
> patches as well as participate in discussions.
>
> David

Key decisions have to be made in the public, on the list.
Everyone can participate, contributors, committers
But we still must do things the apache way, in the open on the list,
discuss, present proposals, vote.

Re: Creating a Pluto 2.0 branch

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>.
If the development process is not done in the apache community, the
code must go through the incubator.

small patches for bugfixes are exempt from this process, because there
are explicit disclaimers around this in JIRA, etc.

But here (and the original email expresses the intent very well), we
are not speaking about small patches, but about a code donation.

The code, if not developed in apache, should go through the incubator.

The way I see it, the development as a whole must go through the
incubator unless every single patch passes through JIRA anad is vetted
by the pluto community.

I'm -1 about the branch.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Craig Doremus wrote:
> Torsten, who already subscribes to this list, appears to be cooperative.
> He wants to work with us and contribute code to our SVN repository with
> the help of current Pluto committers. He already has agreed to work on
> PLUTO-233 and PLUTO-232/249. two of the most important container-related
> Pluto 1.1 issues.

Great.  I'm sure he is - didn't mean to imply that he won't be.

> I am suggesting that we create a Pluto 2.0 branch based on our current
> Pluto 1.1 trunk. I then suggest that we create a 2.0 version or branch
> in Jira. Torsten and his group can submit their code by creating issues
> in this Jira branch and attaching their files or patches to these
> issues. It will be up to the Pluto committers to add these contributions
> to SVN. In time, I hope that Torsten can earn the right to be a
> committer himself. Others will also be encouraged to contribute to the
> Pluto 2.0 branch.

Also, isn't one of his team members a committer (Ulrich)?  I have no
problem with him committing the changes.  At the same time, I don't mind
helping out.

> I am willing to go along with the group consensus, but I hope we can
> move the JSR-286 (Portlet 2.0) RI forward without any undue bureaucracy.
> /Craig

Yup, we just need to make sure that we provide the protocol in order to
follow Apache ByLaws.  We need the PMC to have the correct level of
oversight.  I'm no expert on this so I'll rely on Carsten and others for
their assistance.

Carsten, if we take the patch and incremental commit approach do you
think we still need to go through the incubator?  In a way I kind of

Posted by Craig Doremus <cd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by CD...@hannaford.com.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.