Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/12/18 08:55:13 UTC

Re: Forrestize docs

Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> on 2002/12/17 7:23 AM, "Otis Gospodnetic" <ot...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>What I _would_ like, on the other hand, is project information that
>>tools like Maven provide.  File, developer, etc. activity, clover
>>reports, etc.
>>
>>Otis
>
> +1
>
> If the website is going to be built, it should be built with Maven, not
> Forrest. IMHO, all Nicola is doing is trying to push his stuff

Look who's talking, the one that told all jakarta developers to "quick,
convert all to Maven". I just followed a mail posted here, I did not
take initiatives myself.

> in even
> though it doesn't do things that are useful, like what Maven does.

I'm copying this to the Forrest list so they know what you think of our
project.

> I'm also
> pissed off that someone changed the UI. There is specific reasons why that
> UI was developed and what is in it.

I'm even more pissed off that someone made a project inside a project
inside a project and keeps shoving it up people's nose.

The UI was changed because we didn't like it. You don't like it? Send in
  a patch with your skin. It's opensource, man.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: additional paramters in xml help files

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
You may want to wait and see what will come out of the Forrestization
talk that just happened on lucene-dev over the last 2 days.
Apparently Forrest already has the ability to create printable docs.

Otis

Posted by ckirkendall <ck...@hobsons-us.com>.
I am trying to put together a xslt that will transform the help content
on the site to a printable format and or pdf(trough fop). I have a
simple xslt that works, however I had to do some ugly hacking to try to

Re: Forrestize docs

Posted by ckirkendall <ck...@hobsons-us.com>.

Re: Forrestize docs

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: Forrestize docs

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you, and thank you :)

Re: Forrestize docs

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
I found a mail that encouraged to Forrestize docs and did it.
I'm not in this project, though I am a user, and don't want to continue
this irritating discussion any longer.

It's sad how something that I did by trying to help became something I
should be ashamed of.

Sorry for the noise.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: Forrestize docs

Posted by Curtis Seyfried <cu...@verizon.net>.
Hi,
I've been lurking and listening to these discussions. I'm just trying to
learn how to use lucene.

BUT, as to Forrest .vs. Maven .vs. whatever, here's a suggestion.

Those who want to Forrestize do so.

Those who want to Mavenize do so.

Then all of you compare your results and actually SEE what is better, or
which parts of what might be incorporated into whatever to make the best
synergistic solution.

BUT, just talking about how Treoretically F is better than M is better than
W, won't get you anywhere. You waste time, bandwidth and other people's
patience who are here to actually learn practical ways to use and devlop
applications around Lucene.

Infighting only discourages newbies. Besides, you can always discuss F .v.s
M OUTSIDE the list with eachother to your hearts content.

Just my 2 cents, no harm intended.

Curtis Seyfried

Re: Forrestize docs

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2002/12/17 11:55 PM, "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <ni...@apache.org> wrote:

> Look who's talking, the one that told all jakarta developers to "quick,
> convert all to Maven". I just followed a mail posted here, I did not
> take initiatives myself.

That is because I still think that Maven is better than Forrest.

Forrest focused on replacing Anakia and Maven focused on doing what projects
actually need. Maybe I can't see the Forrest through the trees. =)

> I'm even more pissed off that someone made a project inside a project
> inside a project and keeps shoving it up people's nose.

Wake up Nicola. I am not even a developer on Maven.

    http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/team-list.html

> I'm copying this to the Forrest list so they know what you think of our
> project.

Thanks for taking half of the conversation out of context and then bringing
another group into this without even asking first. That is like having a
conversation on the street and then pulling the first person who walks by
and asking their opinion. How rude.

> The UI was changed because we didn't like it. You don't like it? Send in
> a patch with your skin. It's opensource, man.

Of course it is, man.

    http://style.tigris.org

The fact of the matter is that UI was professionally developed and you went
and screwed it up because you 'didn't like it'. The left edges are on the
headings for a purpose which is to enclose blocks of data. You went and
removed that and now the enclosure isn't there. Go look at Scarab and then
compare that with what you have.

-jon

--
StudioZ.tv /\ Bar/Nightclub/Entertainment
314 11th Street @ Folsom /\ San Francisco