Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/28 18:53:40 UTC

[DISCUSS] Cordova-Android 7.0.0

Hey

I'm going to merge in StudioProjectCompat into Master today.  Once that's
done, I'd like to get the next major version of Cordova out so that there's
not a crazy difference between master and the released versions of
Cordova.  This release will have the new structure for Android Studio
projects, which in the future will be easier to maintain, and will allow
for people to experiment with writing Cordova Android plugins in Koltin. (I
haven't tried, because I need this to land before I can do that).

I've wrapped up all the PRs on cordova-android  except for that one, and
I've put everything up until this point in 6.4.x as well, since 6.4.0 will
be the last 6.x version before this release comes out.

As far as Crosswalk, this does once again break Crosswalk, but Crosswalk
has been discontinued by the original maintainers.  That said, in theory
once the fix is made in the Crosswalk repo, it should in theory be able to
work with the new structure.

Also, this release will be bumping up the supported API Version to Android
4.4, or API Level 19.

This will hopefully be the last major release of Cordova Android, but it
comes with a LOT of much needed updates and fixes (i.e. Adopting Java 8).
If this doesn't get released, we're going to forever be bogged down with
legacy code.  It's been extremely hard to get as much feedback on this one,
so more feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Re: [DISCUSS] Cordova-Android 7.0.0

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hey

I was wrong.  We actually skip two steps in the testing process.  Do not
test upgrading.  Upgrading is now simply removing the old platform and
adding the new one.  If you are using a standalone workflow, you should
probably migrate your changes over manually.  Apologies for this, the
release document doesn't have the updated info for upgrading your version
of Android.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hey

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.