Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Muthu <cm...@naturesoft.net> on 2006/01/21 14:33:15 UTC

[users@httpd] Indexing the password protected directory

Hi all,

         I am using apache 2.0.55. In the directory listing, it is not
showing the password protected directory (i.e the directory which has
.htaccess file). All other directories are getting listed. If I remove
the .htaccess file, It is listing that directory. Can somebody give
suggestions?

the .htaccess contains

AuthUserFile /var/www/localhost/htdocs/.htpasswd
AuthName "Test only"
AuthType Basic
require valid-user

Thanks & Regards,
Muthu.

Re: [users@httpd] Indexing the password protected directory

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 1/21/06, Muthu <cm...@naturesoft.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

>          I am using apache 2.0.55. In the directory listing, it is not
> showing the password protected directory (i.e the directory which has
> .htaccess file). All other directories are getting listed. If I remove
> the .htaccess file, It is listing that directory. Can somebody give
> suggestions?
>
> the .htaccess contains
>
> AuthUserFile /var/www/localhost/htdocs/.htpasswd
> AuthName "Test only"
> AuthType Basic
> require valid-user

This is for security reasons.  The fact that a resource exists may be private.

In 2.2 you can turn it off with the ShowForbidden IndexOption.  So the
easiest solution would be to upgrade.

Joshua.