Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Michael P. Jones" <mi...@boxerlearning.com> on 2002/06/12 23:08:03 UTC

Performance and Scalability Information?

Hello-

Currently my company is using lots of different servlets written by lots
of different people in lots of different styles. We want to adopt a
framework and start coding within that framework.

Struts is at the top of our list of frameworks however we do have some
questions about performance and scalability.

I dug through the mail archive for 'performance' and only found comments
related to JSP's and taglibs.

How do other parts of Struts fair under heavy usage?
Are there any known bottle necks or performance issues?
Does anyone have any statics or benchmarks on Struts performance?

Thanks-
Michael

Re: Performance and Scalability Information?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Michael P. Jones wrote:

> Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 17:08:03 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Michael P. Jones <mi...@boxerlearning.com>
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Performance and Scalability Information?
>
> Hello-
>
> Currently my company is using lots of different servlets written by lots
> of different people in lots of different styles. We want to adopt a
> framework and start coding within that framework.
>
> Struts is at the top of our list of frameworks however we do have some
> questions about performance and scalability.
>
> I dug through the mail archive for 'performance' and only found comments
> related to JSP's and taglibs.
>
> How do other parts of Struts fair under heavy usage?
> Are there any known bottle necks or performance issues?
> Does anyone have any statics or benchmarks on Struts performance?

<biased-opinion-alert>
As a primary developer of Struts, my experience has been that the only
part of Struts itself that causes performance issues is the heavy
dependence on custom tags -- for everything else, you will typically find
that network bandwith and database access or *far* more important limits
to scalability.

And one can argue (also speaking to myself as one of the folks primarily
responsible for Tomcat 4) that custom tag performance is really the
container's problem.  Want proof?  Take a typical Struts app and run it on
both 4.0.3 and 4.1.3 (which has a bunch of optimizations to the code
generated for JSP pages that use custom tags).  The difference is very
evident, even on a fast single-user PC.  But no code changes to the app
were needed.
 </biased-opinion-alert>

> Thanks-
> Michael