Posted to user@struts.apache.org by DG...@EvergreenInvestments.com on 2004/07/01 21:08:56 UTC

Returning an ActionError from an Action?

Currently constrained to Struts 1.0.

Due to the nature of my application, I am unable to use an ActionForm to
hold my form data (I am pulling it directly from the request parameter map
in the action).  As a result, I have to perform my validation in the
action, and I'm wondering if there is some way to leverage ActionErrors
from my action, or should I just use an application exception?

Dennis

Re: Returning an ActionError from an Action?

Posted by Henrique VIECILI <vi...@softplan.com.br>.
use the method saveErrors(ActionErrors);

In you Action:

// validation
errors.add("property", new ActionError("key"));

saveErrors(errors);

Henrique Viecili
Posted by Bill Siggelkow <bi...@bellsouth.net>.
Sure ... just create the ActionErrors in your Action, save them using
saveErrors(), then return the InputForward() ....

public class SaveDataAction extends Action {
   public ActionForward execute(ActionMapping mapping, ActionForm form,
			HttpServletRequest request,
                         HttpServletResponse response)
         throws Exception {
     // do stuff with request params here

     // here is the ActionError stuff
     if ( somethingIsWrong() ) {
       errors.add(ActionErrors.GLOBAL_MESSAGE,
                  new ActionError("error.token"));
      // etc.
     }
     if (!errors.isEmpty()) {
       saveErrors(request, errors);
       return new ActionForward(mapping.getInputForward());
     }
     return mapping.findForward("success");
   }
}