Posted to log4net-dev@logging.apache.org by Stromský Josef <jo...@elvac.eu> on 2010/02/03 17:57:30 UTC

Log4net UDP Appender and Chainsaw on Windows 7

Dear Sirs.

We were using the log4net with chainsaw (over UDP) on the  WinXP for a few years with absolutely no complications. However, once we upgraded to Windows 7, messages sent over UDP did not reach the chainsaw. We tried almost everything. Is this a known issue or do you have any clue for us.

Thank you for any advice.

Regards,

Josef Stromsky

RE: Log4net UDP Appender and Chainsaw on Windows 7

Posted by Stromský Josef <jo...@elvac.eu>.
Thank you  for your swift reply. Sorry I did not mention, however the log4net library and chainsaw is running on the same computer and firewall is down.

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Parx Shearer <Pa...@medhost.com>.
Taking a shot in the dark, perhaps it is an ipv4/ipv6 problem as discovered by KazMax.

Posted by Marcin Skoczylas <Ma...@pb.edu.pl>.
unsubscribe

Re: Log4net UDP Appender and Chainsaw on Windows 7

Posted by Scott Deboy <sc...@gmail.com>.
Another option you may find useful: use a file appender instead of a UDP
appender, and configure Chainsaw to use a LogFilePatternReceiver (which will
parse and tail the log file).

There are two versions of LogFilePatternReceiver - the 'regular' version
(which can process files using file: and http: URLs) and the VFS receiver,
which extends this ability to include support for files accessible via the
Apache Jakarta Commons VFS library (for example, log files stored on an
ssh-accessible server or a remote windows share).

You can find example LogFilePatternReceiver configurations from Chainsaw's
Welcome tab.  The documentation for receivers is available from Chainsaw's
help/receiver javadoc menu.

Here's the link to the VFS supported file systems:
http://commons.apache.org/vfs/filesystems.html

Scott

Posted by gecon27 <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

What if I want to redirect output to another machine (WinXP), running a
log4net UDP viewer?
On the 64-bit machine (Windows 2008), I set in "RemoteAddress" the IPv4
address of that machine (WinXP), but it doesn't work (no UDP packages are
generated).
Any ideas?

Thank you,
Ioannis