Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2013/07/28 16:05:28 UTC

Java level prerequsite upgrade?

Dear Users,

The UIMA developers would like to be able to start using Java 6 language
features; of course this would require users to be running this level or later.

Currently, we require only Java 5 or later.

Java 5 from various vendors is either past end-of-life or approaching it
(meaning no updates, unless you have some special contracts).

See http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html or
http://www.ibm.com/software/support/lifecycle/

If we started requiring Java 6 or later, would this be an issue for you?

-Marshall Schor

Re: Java level prerequsite upgrade?

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.
Am 31.07.2013 um 17:45 schrieb Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>:

> 1) Java 6 is pretty "uninteresting" as a change from 5; some people thought it
> wasn't enough of an improvement to warrant the change.  They suggested either
> not moving, or moving to Java 7.

We (DKPro project family) may switch to Java 7 before long since some of the
dependencies we use are already using or upgrading to Java 7 (e.g. ark-tweet-nlp
and LanguageTool). I have a feeling that others will follow with the discussion
apparently going on across many projects.

Personally, even between Java 5 and Java 7, I don't see much gain. I'm really
looking forward to closures in Java 8 though.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Re: Java level prerequsite upgrade?

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
There's a similar discussion happening in Maven development.

Some interesting points of view being expressed there:

1) Java 6 is pretty "uninteresting" as a change from 5; some people thought it
wasn't enough of an improvement to warrant the change.  They suggested either
not moving, or moving to Java 7.

(Java 8 has some really nice features --- but it's not out till next year...)

2) Others pointed out that many "government" users are still on Java 1.2 or 1.4
- they're very slow to upgrade.  The rebuttal to this was - that would be fine,
since they would not have upgraded their Maven, either, and the old levels work
on the older Java versions.

Food for thought... -Marshall

Posted by Steven Bethard <st...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
> The UIMA developers would like to be able to start using Java 6 language
> features; of course this would require users to be running this level or later.
>
> Currently, we require only Java 5 or later.
>
> Java 5 from various vendors is either past end-of-life or approaching it
> (meaning no updates, unless you have some special contracts).
>
> See http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html or
> http://www.ibm.com/software/support/lifecycle/
>
> If we started requiring Java 6 or later, would this be an issue for you?

ClearTK is considering bumping our required version to Java 7 in the
near future (https://code.google.com/p/cleartk/issues/detail?id=354)
so we're definitely okay with UIMA requiring Java 6.

Steve

Re: AW: Java level prerequsite upgrade?

Posted by Jens Grivolla <j+...@grivolla.net>.
Same here, our own stuff relies on higher versions of Java anyway.

Jens

Posted by Ar...@bka.bund.de.

Posted by Paul Dhaliwal <su...@gmail.com>.
No, I would welcome java 6.