Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2003/10/10 00:46:53 UTC

Playing with Lenya

I have started a serious look into lenya.

The first to note is that lenya's CVS doesn't contain all the libraries
that it requires to compile and that libraries are found in at least
four different locations, some of them used by compilation some are not.

Missing libraries are:

  - excalibur-pool
  - avalon-framework
  - avalon-sourceresolve
  - jakarta-regexp
  - excalibur-xmlutil
  - avalon-logkit
  - xerces
  - xml-api
  - commons-httpclient
  - jtidy
  - excalibur-io

[how do you guys manage to compile lenya, btw?]

After adding all those dependencies, I just made lenya compile under
eclipse and I noted that:

  - it uses both log4j and logkit, why?
  - it extends Xerces directy! why?
  - you use "assertions", that makes it require java 1.4, could be an
issue on some platforms (freebsd)

enough for tonight, expect more questions as I dive deeper.

--
Stefano.

Re: Playing with Lenya

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>  - you use "assertions", that makes it require java 1.4, could be an
> issue on some platforms (freebsd)

I noticed that you removed some assertions from test classes
saying "we should aim at 1.3 compatibility". Is it a general
policy within the Cocoon project to preserve 1.3 compatiblility?
Lenya uses some other 1.4 features, e.g., for String manipulation.

Andreas

Re: Playing with Lenya

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I have started a serious look into lenya.
>
> The first to note is that lenya's CVS doesn't contain all the
> libraries that it requires to compile and that libraries are found in
> at least four different locations, some of them used by compilation
> some are not.
>
> Missing libraries are:
>
>  - excalibur-pool
>  - avalon-framework
>  - avalon-sourceresolve
>  - jakarta-regexp
>  - excalibur-xmlutil
>  - avalon-logkit
>  - xerces
>  - xml-api
>  - commons-httpclient
>  - jtidy
>  - excalibur-io
>
> [how do you guys manage to compile lenya, btw?]

within cocoon-lenya/build.properties you can specify where your Cocoon
is located, e.g.

src.cocoon.dir=../cocoon-2.1.2/build/webapp

or

src.cocoon.dir=/Users/stefano/cocoon-2.1.2/build/webapp

and you set the ENV VARIABLE

JAVA_HOME
ANT_HOME
PATH (ant)

and then

cd /Users/stefano/src/cocoon-lenya
ant install

This will merge your Cocoon version with Lenya and also copy it into
your Tomcat webapps directory (in case you specify one in the
build.properties file)

> After adding all those dependencies, I just made lenya compile under
> eclipse and I noted that:
>
>  - it uses both log4j and logkit, why?

historical reasons ... but we actually had the idea to have just logkit
(we made a note in the roadmap)

>  - it extends Xerces directy! why?

do you mean within the org/apache/lenya/xml directory? In this case also
historical reasons ... else I need to check

>  - you use "assertions", that makes it require java 1.4, could be an
> issue on some platforms (freebsd)

ok

> enough for tonight, expect more questions as I dive deeper.

please do

Thanks

Michael