Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Martin Marinschek <mm...@apache.org> on 2010/03/09 13:28:05 UTC

Google SoC

Hi guys,

question: Google SoC - I saw some administrative mails already, but no
real proposals from the MyFaces community (just one proposal by a
potential student). So is there something already worked on with
regards to this? Are people interested in mentoring students? In
getting projects done?

I think we are supposed to use the issue tracker for this year's
project - is that true?

best regards,

Martin

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

RE: Google SoC

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

> - Extend Orchestra use Conversations based on the JSF 2.0 custom scope
> API, Extend Orchestra to work with Spring Conversations, to do
> File->New Window Handling

Any idea how this should work?
What magic is Spring Conversations using here?

Ciao,
Mario

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Martin Marinschek <mm...@apache.org>.
Hi Mamallan

> Mechanism behind JavaScript free fallback:
> The primary purpose of the JavaScript in the client-side is to assign
> values to parameters like source, event, etc.
>
> 1) During fallback rendering, we encode all these parameters and their
> values to the name attribute of a component. Example, for commandButton,
> we render:
> <input  type = "submit"  name = "source<<encodingkey>><<sourcevalue>>" />
> All components that are intended to submit a page are rendered as input
> element of type 'submit' and their name attributes are encoded with
> parameters and their values. Also, we render a hidden parameter
> '_noJavaScript' during form rendering to indicate that parameters are
> encoded.
>
> 2) During page submission, the submitting component's name attribute
> which contains the encoded parameters will be returned to the server. In
> the Trinidad filter, we check for the hidden parameter '_noJavaScript',
> if true, we wrap the incoming httpRequest with a wrapper that decoded
> these parameters from the name attribute. The wrapper adds these decoded
> parameters (source, event) to the parameterMap.
>
> Wrapper Class:
> org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.webapp.wrappers.BasicHTMLBrowserRequestWrapper
>
> Example, a page has two commandButtons, whose source parameters are
> 'commandButton1' and 'commandButton2' respectively. These commandButtons
> will be rendered as below:
> <input  type = "submit"  name = "source_parameterkeycommandButton1" />
> <input  type = "submit"  name = "source_parameterkeycommandButton2" />
>
> if the page is submitted by commandButton2, the payload will contain
> 'source_parameterkeycommandButton2'. Hence, the wrapper can decoded the
> source parameter value to be 'commandButton2'

This is exactly what we are doing here in cs-JSF as well. Funny that
we arived at the same solution ;). Yes, anyways - I would want to have
the javascript fallback to be enabled when there is no javascript, and
not only if we are on mobile browsers.

best regards,

Martin

Re: Google SoC

Posted by ma...@oracle.com.
This is in regard with how Trinidad handle JavaScript free fallback
during mobile rendering. Basically, we assign the JavaScript capability
for a few mobile user-agents to 'none' in their capability files
(Trinidad maintains a capability file for each user-agent). The method
supportsScripting determines whether to fallback based on a user-agent's
JavaScript capability, and this method is available in
org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.renderkit.core.xhtml.XhtmlRenderer.

I guess we can tweak this method based on some configuration parameter
to return false to accomplish JavaScript free fallback.

[...]

Hope it helps.

Thanks
Mamallan
On 3/9/2010 9:51 AM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 8:19 AM, Martin Marinschek
> <mm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Ok - if you are alright with that, I would have some more proposals.
>> Some starters in the following:
>>
>> - Partial State Saving performance improvements in MyFaces 2.0
>> - Implement a JavaScript-Free Fallback in Tomahawk, Trinidad and/or Tobago
>>

> Trinidad has some fallback already, however it is only applied when
> mobile rendering
> is involved (by user-agent detection of the components). So, we could
> port that...

Basically, we assign the JavaScript capability for a few mobile
user-agents to 'none' in their capability files (Trinidad maintains a
capability file for each user-agent). The method supportsScripting which
determines whether to fallback based on a user-agent's JavaScript
capability is available in

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
- Add to that, extend the recompilation we have for jsf in ext-scripting
towards CDI (possibly for all two implementations)

That would be one of my next tasks post 1.0, maybe I can offload that one.

Werner

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com>.
Sounds great!

Maybe we can also do some work in the area of file uploads (e.g. upload
progress, select multiple files,...). Something similar to what Google Mail
does for attachments would be nice.

Regards,
Jakob

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jakob,

you could also take part as a student, if you´d rather do that. But
you can certainly be a mentor for this, every committer may.

best regards,

Martin

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 6:16 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> nope, have not signed up to be the HTML5 RenderKit mentor.
> Any URL for that ?

here it is:
http://community.apache.org/guide-to-being-a-mentor.html

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi

http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs#org_apply
http://socghop.appspot.com/

According to the info, there should be someone on ASF that knows how to deal
with this stuff, because there is at least one administer from ASF side.

regards,

Leonardo Uribe

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hey,

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin,

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Martin Marinschek <mm...@apache.org>.

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Martin Marinschek <mm...@apache.org>.

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
hi mario,

~"orchestra without spring" will be part of myfaces-codi (hopefully).

regards,
gerhard

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
2010/3/9 Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>

>  Hi!

The code behind pageFlowScope could be used to create a conversational
scope. It is just that code has some utility stuff that could be used.

RE: Google SoC

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
2010/3/9 Martin Marinschek <mm...@apache.org>

> Ok - if you are alright with that, I would have some more proposals.
> Some starters in the following:
>
> - Partial State Saving performance improvements in MyFaces 2.0

Sure! I would like to profile this stuff better.

> - Implement a JavaScript-Free Fallback in Tomahawk, Trinidad and/or Tobago
> - Write (more) new skins for Trinidad

Adonis Raduca told me he did some work on the selectors when he did
casablanca trinidad skin, to make other skins more easier to do, so I think
it is possible to create new ones based on casablanca work with some effort.

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Martin Marinschek <mm...@apache.org>.

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hey

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Ali Ok <al...@aliok.com.tr>.
Hi Martin,
Google App Engine support is not a GSOC proposal anymore. We discussed about
this project and after determining it is too small to be a GSOC project,
I've done this with the help of the community.

About other project: There is not much progress on HTML5 components project;
I save it to GSOC period.
I am currently getting ready for my proposal about this project. The Google
Code project is to get feedback from community and determine what do
implement.

Greetings,
Ali

My Blog: http://blog.aliok.com.tr
Twitter: http://twitter.com/aliok_tr

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Martin Marinschek <mm...@apache.org>.
Hi Jakob,

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hey Martin,

the app-engine stuff is already part of myfaces2. The HTML5 RenderKit
is not yet implemented
and will be done under the umbrella of GSoc.

-Matthias

Re: Google SoC

Posted by Jakob Korherr <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin,