Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Gerald Aichholzer <ga...@iicm.tu-graz.ac.at> on 2004/08/04 15:15:35 UTC

i18n-transformer questions

Hi all,

I have just read much information about the i18n-transformer, but some
things are still unclear:

- I have two message catalogues named message.xml and message_fr.xml.
   Do I have to supply a translation for each key in message_fr.xml
   or is it possible to specify a fallback to message.xml if a key
   is not found in message_fr.xml?

   If yes how can I do this?

- I'm working on an application which supports different subjects
   (e.g. cooking, card games, dice games, ...). So I have a message
   catalog for the application itself (navigation etc.) and a sepa-
   rate message catalogue for each subject.

   Is it possible to tell the i18n-transformer to look in several
   catalogues (e.g. message.xml for the application and msg_cook.xml
   for the current subject)?

   If yes how can I do this?

   I have already specified several catalogues for the i18n-trans-
   former, but until now messages are translated using one catalogue
   only :/

- What is a good solution for specifying the locale in the pipeline?
   The userdocs talk about the LocaleAction, but the wiki says that
   actions are going out of fashion.
  (http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/WorkingWithLocales)

your input is appreciated very much,
Gerald

Re: i18n-transformer questions

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hello Gerald,

the explanation is quite easy: Because of my diploma thesis I stopped
reading the Cocoon mails with the beginning of August. Since mid of
April I catch up on reading (most) and answering (few, that are
interesting in topic or good to have in archive) the mails. And becuase
I have no internet access yet on my new residence I did it offline and
sent them today collectively.

Joerg

Posted by Gerald Aichholzer <ga...@iicm.tu-graz.ac.at>.
Hi Joerg,

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
On 04.08.2004 15:15, Gerald Aichholzer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have just read much information about the i18n-transformer, but some
> things are still unclear:
>

> - I have two message catalogues named message.xml and message_fr.xml.
>   Do I have to supply a translation for each key in message_fr.xml
>   or is it possible to specify a fallback to message.xml if a key
>   is not found in message_fr.xml?
>
>   If yes how can I do this?

It falls back automatically.

> - I'm working on an application which supports different subjects
>   (e.g. cooking, card games, dice games, ...). So I have a message
>   catalog for the application itself (navigation etc.) and a sepa-
>   rate message catalogue for each subject.
>
>   Is it possible to tell the i18n-transformer to look in several
>   catalogues (e.g. message.xml for the application and msg_cook.xml
>   for the current subject)?

Yes.

>   If yes how can I do this?

Specify several catalogues by name and use this name in the XML.

>   I have already specified several catalogues for the i18n-trans-
>   former, but until now messages are translated using one catalogue
>   only :/

You must reference the catalogue in the XML.

> - What is a good solution for specifying the locale in the pipeline?
>   The userdocs talk about the LocaleAction, but the wiki says that
>   actions are going out of fashion.
>  (http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/WorkingWithLocales)

I think an input module should work.

Joerg