Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steve R Burrus <bu...@yahoo.com> on 2003/01/07 23:44:32 UTC

Tomcat Still Doesn't Display Servlet!

 Hello all, maybe I am "beating a dead horse" or something about trying/attempting
to see or view a servlet/JSP in my favorite web browser, but I STILL CANNOT DO
IT!!!

 Is it just me, am I the only one among all of the rest of you out there who just
flat doesn't "get it" about being to see a servlet???!! I have tried to edit the
C:\[TOMCAT-ROOT]\conf\server.xml file to enable me to do so, but so far, without
any success whatsoever! I looked over the big old configuration file for the
<Context-Manager></Context-Manager> tag where one book I have on server-side Java
programming instructed me to put the context path for the servlet, but couldn't
find it at all. I do remember one member of our group told me some time ago NOT to
edit the server.xml, saying that Tomcat would somehow "know" how to handle this
context path. Any "last moment" suggestions for me from anyone about this problem
would be appreciated right before i abandon the idea forever of "getting it right"
with this. It IS the server.xml file that I edit, and NOT the web.xml, right? I
leave you with that "softball" quesion which anyone can answer, I'm sure.

Re: Tomcat Still Doesn't Display Servlet!

Posted by Paul Campbell <se...@halcyon.com>.
Yes, you are right that the hostname was incorrect, but it's good
to see you were able to muck on.

So, returning to your request for a web.xml.
There's an example located at
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/tomcat-docs/appdev/web.xml.txt

Notice: This web.xml has a .txt suffix. You will not use such a suffix,
but it goes along with the rest of the appdev stuff that I have tried to
suggest that you read.

I hope you have setup the ant environment as it will make life so much
easier, and make you more productive.

Additionaly, the book I first used to learn this material has the
the chapter that covers this topic online at
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/Books/javaserverpages/servlets_javaserver/servlets_javaserver05.pdf

It is Chapter 5 of Marty Halls "more servlets and java server pages".

 Cheers

Posted by Paul Campbell <se...@halcyon.com>.
If you do what is in these docs it WILL work.
http://boats:8080/tomcat-docs/appdev/index.html

It may take an hour to read and understand it
and it may take half and hour to install ant
and cut/paste the build.xml.

Please just follow the directions.

and you won't need to come back with "old horse",
you may find a new one, but you won't be stuck.