Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com> on 2007/03/06 17:26:41 UTC

Continuous Build Server. Was: NEED HELP: getting the trunk back in order

I have tried out a few different build servers. I started by looking
at this feature matrix (probably not entirely complete or up to date):

http://damagecontrol.codehaus.org/Continuous+Integration+Server+Feature+Matrix

As you can see there are two that have more green ticks than the
others. Anthill Pro and Viewtier Parabuild. I tried both. Anthill Pro
looks very good (maven build running on my machine, configured in 18
minutes!). Parabuild looked pretty awfull.

Anthill Pro have offered to give us a free licence as they do this for
open source projects. The Apache Geronimo project has already set the
precedent by also using Anthill Pro 3. They've had their own debate,
around the subject of wether or not they should be using non-free,
non-open source software and whether or not using it will force people
building from a checkout to also use it. Read the debate here:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-dev/200612.mbox/ajax/%3c18073DCE-7011-41D0-877F-45DD8F8CA1B8@planet57.com%3e

To summarize:

It won't force people to be dependant on anthill, because the build
server and build system are seperate things. The build system is
maven, make, msbuild etc. All anthill does is call it periodically to
do the build. The build system will still need to be maintained and
kept in working order for every day devlopment activity from the
command line.

As for non-free, non-os software. We already use Jira, Confluence, not
to mention MsBuild and Visual Studio, which kind of takes the moral
argument out of that point of view.

I'd like to propose that we accept Urban Code's kind offer of a free
licence. Their product is the only one which can do a fully automated
build over multiple languages and operating systems, call our test
scripts and collate the results.

Rupert

Re: Continuous Build Server. Was: NEED HELP: getting the trunk back in order

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.
Yup, ideally on a machine that all committers have (secure) access to,
can provide web interface to the anthill web console, and can spam us
with broken build emails. Until then, we'll just have to experiment
with a machine behind the firewall. We are not in a position to
provide a machine open to the outside world for this, nor are we
allowed to do email spamming.

As an interim solution, I might look into seeing if I can automate the
upload of builds reports onto the wiki. I think email spamming is of
limited use anyway.

Rupert

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
The only issue is the credit which AntHill may/may not require and where it
needs to be placed.  If it is on an apache web site then we need some sort
of official OK.  If this is a requirement of the AntHill license then we
need the OK on this before we move from evaluation of AntHill to actual
use...

-- Rob

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.
The distributed build is not to make it run faster.

It is so that the build process can build the c++ on a linux box, and
the .net build on a windows box. Both can be tied together under a
common build stamp. They can be interop tested (by calling scripts on
both boxes). If the tests pass, the build artifacts, under the common
stamp, can be promoted together as a succesfull build.

Its working out how to coordinate this process of building accross
multiple boxes that I see as being the difficult part of automating a
Qpid build. I had that in mind though, as I was writing the interop
testing spec, trying to imagine how I would be able to get that sort
of distributed testing to work.

In anthill I set up agents, on a windows box and on a linux box. I
then define a workflow that goes like this:

create new build stamp.
fork:
 build cpp on linux agent: build java on linux agent: build dotnet on
windows agent.
join:

call broker start script on linux agent.
fork:
 call startall test clients scripts on all agents.
join:
call coordinator start script on linux agent.
call broker stop script on linux agent.
publish the test results.

(maybe some more steps here, like tck testing).

if it all passed:
 gather consistently stamped build artifacts from all agents (the
distributions).

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
Robert Godfrey wrote:
> Is the continuous build set up part of the project though?  That is,
> even if
> we use AntHillPro (or any other solution) for our own continuous build...
> there's nothing stopping anyone else setting up their own continous build
> using any technology they like.  (Although if they do so can I strongly
> request them not to spam the qpid-dev list with the results :-) ).
I believe it should be. There's nothing stopping people from
independently writing
any number of continuous build systems but thats all wasted effort that
could
instead be put into building one really good shared system, or into
doing Qpid development.

> 1. is AntHill offering a license for any of the contributors to run a
> continuous build against the apache subversion project?
> 2. is there any restriction on the number of continuous build systems
> thus
> set up?
> 3. if individual contributors / organisations take wish advantage of
> such a
> license, is the qpid community as a whole happy to credit AntHill in the
> manner required.
> 4. finally even of the Qpid community is happy to credit AntHill, is
> Apache
> happy to allow Qpid to do so

I think we're of a similar opinion except that I feel that anyone with
an interest in Qpid, not just the comitters, should be able to use and
contribute to the continuous build system just like any other part of
the project.

 From the matrix it looks like it has a stronger web interface that
CruiseControl. Distributed builds is a red herring IMO.  Build
distribution should be done by the developer build system (e.g. using
distcc for make)  not the continuous build system. "Native" make
integration sounds nice but integration via ant is so straightforward
that I can't imagine what additional value it provides.

If the license allows anyone to use & contribute to the Qpid continuous
build system, for purposes of testing Qpid only,  then those advantages
make AntHill worth considering . If its only for use by all contributors
(present and future) then I'd be reluctant but might be open to
persuasion if AntHill turns out to be really cool. If the license
restricts us to a limited number of hosts, specific named companies or
the like then I'm dead against it.

Cheers,
Alan.

Re: Continuous Build Server. Was: NEED HELP: getting the trunk back in order

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
Is the continuous build set up part of the project though?  That is, even if
we use AntHillPro (or any other solution) for our own continuous build...
there's nothing stopping anyone else setting up their own continous build
using any technology they like.  (Although if they do so can I strongly
request them not to spam the qpid-dev list with the results :-) ).

As I see it, RedHat are looking to set up a continuous build machine inside
that organisation in order to help their developers, and they are further
volunteering to mail out the results to the list.  Other contributors are
also interested in setting up a continuous build environment to help their
developers, but they would not be able to mail the list with results.

Further, while Red Hat is obviously most focused on test results on Linux,
other contributors will be requiring Qpid to run correctly on alternative
operating systems (not limited to Windows).  Some of our clients may only be
able to build correctly on some platforms.

For me the licensing questions are these:

1. is AntHill offering a license for any of the contributors to run a
continuous build against the apache subversion project?
2. is there any restriction on the number of continuous build systems thus
set up?
3. if individual contributors / organisations take wish advantage of such a
license, is the qpid community as a whole happy to credit AntHill in the
manner required.
4. finally even of the Qpid community is happy to credit AntHill, is Apache
happy to allow Qpid to do so

One point for clarification:

Looking at AntHill's pricing model they use committer to a repository as
their way of measuring users.  I'm extrapolating from this to assume that
they would thus be granting a license to build against the apache subversion
repository.  This would (I assume) not cover any development work on other
repositories that people may be doing (for instance the people working on a
BDB based store plugin).

-- Rob

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: Continuous Build Server. Was: NEED HELP: getting the trunk back in order

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: Continuous Build Server. Was: NEED HELP: getting the trunk back in order

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.
On 3/8/07, Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com> wrote:

> I just want to bring this up....
>
> Make sure you send a note to infrastructure@a.o as well as legal@ and
> possibly the incubator PMC's before making any final desision.  There are
> several "free for use with open source projects" that we really shouldn't
> be using do to reverse-marketing stipulations that are unacceptable to
> apache, especially for incubator projects.

I'm hoping that it will be acceptable for Apache, as Geronimo are
already using it.

Re: Continuous Build Server. Was: NEED HELP: getting the trunk back in order

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.

I just want to bring this up....

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: Continuous Build Server. Was: NEED HELP: getting the trunk back in order

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.
I upgraded in the hope of fixing my problems with svn. It didn't solve
that problem but it did at least stay up for longer than it used to.

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Nuno Santos <ns...@redhat.com>.
Rupert Smith wrote:
> The only condition they asked for is that we put an acknowledgement on
> the project web site.
> If RedHat are going to supply a box or two (need Windows and Linux),
> available on the internet, that would be ideal. I was thinking of
> getting it running here and figuring out if I can publish a results
> page to the Wiki, that would be a start anyway. Can add email spamming
> later.

Our original plan was for an internal build/test machine, which could
email status of an svn-based build to any interested qpid developers.
I'm not certain about our lab policies but I don't think we would be
able to make it an external facing machine available for general project
use, this is something that I'll need to follow up with Carl and our lab
manager.

Will also need to check regarding the licensing issue... our plan was to
use CruiseControl but I see in the chart that you mentioned -- very
useful, btw -- that it doesn't directly support "make", so we have to
see if we can somehow integrate the C++ build with CruiseControl, or opt
for a different continuous build tool.

Nuno

Posted by Rupert Smith <ru...@googlemail.com>.
The only condition they asked for is that we put an acknowledgement on
the project web site.

As for the number of machines, whether the licence must be attached to
a particular IP address or something, I'm not yet sure. I'll chase up
the request and find out.

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.