Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Emir Imamagic <ei...@srce.hr> on 2012/01/17 18:29:54 UTC

Removing idle computers

Hello,

during the very nice VCL Bootcamp you organized in Wroclaw we discussed
about the option to switch off computers without reservation.

First few words about our infrastructure. It consists of 2 VMWare ESXi
boxes with 256GB RAM each handling 60-100 VMs. We use iSCSI-based
storage for datastore and 2 VM stores. Since VMFS3 is clustered this
works quite well and bootstrap of machines takes less than a minute.

In this setup reload of machines takes longer than bootstrap and
therefore it would be better to switch off/remove the VM once the
reservation is done.

Are you planning add such feature in the next version?

Thanks
--
Emir Imamagic
Sektor za racunalne sustave

Re: Removing idle computers

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi Emir,

Thanks for the patch and it looks good to reach the goal you wanted.
I'd like to suggest we take it a step further.

We should move this flag to the database, possibly a variable of the
management node table and look at adding additional options like
hibernate and power-down non-vm hw based on current/projected usage.

I've got a jira issue I created awhile back, but I've not made any
progress on it:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VCL-170

If your interested in assisting me working on it, we could design something out.

Cheers,
Aaron

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Emir Imamagic <ei...@srce.hr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I attached a simple patch for VCL::reclaim module which deletes VMs after
> the reservation timeouts or get deleted. We tested it on our environment and
> it seems that it works fine. Patch is done against stable version 2.2.1.
>
> As I am not that familiar with VCL internals I would appreciate any feedback
> on this patch.
>
> Thanks
>

> On 17.01.2012. 18:29, Emir Imamagic wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> during the very nice VCL Bootcamp you organized in Wroclaw we discussed
>> about the option to switch off computers without reservation.
>>
>> First few words about our infrastructure. It consists of 2 VMWare ESXi
>> boxes with 256GB RAM each handling 60-100 VMs. We use iSCSI-based
>> storage for datastore and 2 VM stores. Since VMFS3 is clustered this
>> works quite well and bootstrap of machines takes less than a minute.
>>
>> In this setup reload of machines takes longer than bootstrap and
>> therefore it would be better to switch off/remove the VM once the
>> reservation is done.
>>
>> Are you planning add such feature in the next version?
>>
>> Thanks
>

> --
> Emir Imamagic
> Sektor za racunalne sustave