Posted to user@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2003/11/02 23:24:47 UTC

Re: Digester throwing Null pointer exception while parsing rule XML

i'm afraid that your xml hasn't made it through but i suspect that you'll
find that your classloader doesn't contain the digester DTD in the
appropriate place. i suspect that you're using subclassing and so the code
will be looking for the DTD amongst your classes rather than in the
digester jar.

having said this, i feel that the existing behaviour could be improved as
follows:

1. rather than an exception being thrown, an error should be logged.
2. if the digester DTD cannot be found in the subclass classloader, then
the FromXmlRuleSet classloader should also be check. this should handle
the case when subclassing is used.

unless anyone comes up with a reason not to make this change, i'll take a
look at adding this tomorrow.

- robert