Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2007/08/21 04:55:59 UTC

[proposal] Move Archiva's wiki to cwiki.apache.org

Hi,

Archiva currently has a subsection of the Maven user's wiki, which is
a bit out of place.

I'd like to propose we create two spaces on cwiki.apache.org:
- ARCHIVADEV - for roadmap/proposals/etc. (edited by developers)
- ARCHIVA - for knowledge-base/faq type content (edited by users)

I will probably import the whole space into ARCHIVA, delete anything
not related to Archiva, then move the development pages out. That
will make it retain history, and should still be faster than copying
individual pages.

Both can use the template I already made to automatically be
generated to static HTML and be inserted into a subsection of the
Archiva site.

Thoughts?

- Brett

Re: [proposal] Move Archiva's wiki to cwiki.apache.org

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@exist.com>.
+1 :)

-Deng

Posted by John Tolentino <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Fabrice Bellingard <be...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
My thought is this:

- documentation should be complete enough for the version that gets
released. It should be versioned according to that release, and
distributed either with it, or as a separate zip file alongside it.
This is very difficult to get from the wiki, so I suggest we continue
to write these in APT (as a module under the main SVN tree: archiva-
documentation).

- user-contributed content (cookbooks), faqs, and up-to-the-minute
information should be in the wiki. It should be structured, but can
be less stringently reviewed/organised. Sucking that into the site
(appropriately marked as user contributed content) is a good idea for
performance of the site. Good content from here may be absorbed into
the above documentation over time.

- for the web site itself (news, downloads, screencasts, stuff that
is not tied to any one release) - I don't mind whether it's wiki
(generated across) or stored in a separate SVN module using APT/xdoc,
or both.

- same for "developer content" that is in flux - there's obviously
stuff (that should be) generated from trunk by CI, but there's also
roadmaps and other stuff in the wiki. I'm inclined to have a separate
wiki space and publish this all to one section from multiple sources.

Does this gel with what you wanted?

Note that I already have a confluence template in the style of the
current site checked in to SVN so that we can do the cwiki thing once
set up.

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter - brett@apache.org

Re: [proposal] Move Archiva's wiki to cwiki.apache.org

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.

Posted by Joakim Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>.
+1 (w00!)

- Joakim

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Seems like everyone was in favour (sorry for the delay in doing
anything about it).

Any volunteers to help with the content after the initial import? In
particular, someone might want to take a closer look at the
confluence template (I've checked it in under /maven/project) and
improve it (either generally or specifically for Archiva) and get
some content integrated into the site.

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 8/20/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'd like to propose we create two spaces on cwiki.apache.org:
> - ARCHIVADEV - for roadmap/proposals/etc. (edited by developers)
> - ARCHIVA - for knowledge-base/faq type content (edited by users)

+1 for moving, but I still have concerns about oversight of Confluence wikis.

--
Wendy