Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/04/02 04:05:16 UTC

RunnerStage considered harmful?

Hi,

I would like to revisit the use of run() in lifecycle of a Block. I
consider it a problematic stage. The reason is that it may be the case that
run() will return before stop() is called - does this mean that the block
is stopped? How about cases where blocks don't actually stop when stop() is
called?

run() was originally added as a safe way to deal with threading. However as
phoenix now allows you to go something like

ThreadContext.getCurrentThreadPool().execute( myWork, Priority.HIGH );

or via BlockContext I don't think it is any longer necessary and would thus
like to remove it from cycle. No blocks I have touched use it anyway ... so
thoughts ?

Cheers,

Pete