Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Richard Jernigan <ri...@randomly.com> on 2004/10/09 19:48:46 UTC

svnserve on Windows

First, I'm really enjoying the switch from CVS (turns head, spits) to Subversion.  Congratulations on some tasty work.

Has anyone worked on, or is there any interest in, getting the Windows svnserve process registered as a proper Windows service?

FWIW, I'm running svnserve on my XP machine, and was initially frustrated in my attempts to get the service to (a) always be running, and (b) not show an unnecessary console window on my screen, such that my kids might close it.  As a functional but crude solution, I've added svnserve to the [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run] key, and have written a small wrapper that hides the console and guarantees that only one svnserve will be running simultaneously.  I've attached the source and reg files, in case anyone else wants to experiment along the same lines.

--Richard

Re: svnserve on Windows

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Saturday 09 October 2004 21.48, Richard Jernigan wrote:
> First, I'm really enjoying the switch from CVS (turns head, spits) to
> Subversion.  Congratulations on some tasty work.
>
> Has anyone worked on, or is there any interest in, getting the Windows
> svnserve process registered as a proper Windows service?

It will be included in the windows installer when I have time. This is a
top priority. I've seen several solutions out there and have not decided
which one to use.

> my kids might close it.  As a functional but crude solution, I've
> added svnserve to the [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run] key, and
> have written a small wrapper that hides the console and guarantees
> that only one svnserve will be running simultaneously.  I've attached

Crude solutions can often be the thing to start with. I will check out
yours as well.  :-)

Jostein

--
http://www.josander.net/en/contact/

Re: svnserve on Windows

Posted by John Szakmeister <jo...@szakmeister.net>.
On Saturday 09 October 2004 19:13, Arild Fines wrote:
> Richard Jernigan wrote:
> > First, I'm really enjoying the switch from CVS (turns head, spits) to
> > Subversion.  Congratulations on some tasty work.
> >
> > Has anyone worked on, or is there any interest in, getting the
> > Windows svnserve process registered as a proper Windows service?
>
> The Win2K3/XP Resource Kit has an utility called srvany.exe that allows
> you to install an arbitrary executable as a service. There are also
> other similar tools out there.
>
> The reskit can be downloaded here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-
>4ae7- 96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en

There is also SVNService at:
http://dark.clansoft.dk/~mbn/svnservice/

-John

RE: svnserve on Windows

Posted by Arild Fines <ar...@broadpark.no>.
Richard Jernigan wrote:
> First, I'm really enjoying the switch from CVS (turns head, spits) to
> Subversion.  Congratulations on some tasty work.
>
> Has anyone worked on, or is there any interest in, getting the
> Windows svnserve process registered as a proper Windows service?

The Win2K3/XP Resource Kit has an utility called srvany.exe that allows you
to install an arbitrary executable as a service. There are also other
similar tools out there.

The reskit can be downloaded here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-
96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en

--
Arild

AnkhSVN: http://ankhsvn.tigris.org
Blog: http://ankhsvn.com/blog
IRC: irc://irc.freenode.net/ankhsvn

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"