Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com> on 2015/06/17 19:43:05 UTC

RE: [OT] Random Form Resubmissions

> From: Jerry Malcolm [mailto:techstuff@malcolms.com]
> Subject: OT: Random Form Resubmissions

> I have written defensive code in my webapp to detect this situation and
> handle it.  So it's not a critical problem now. But it just frustrates
> me that I have no clue what is going on.  And I'm curious if the users
> are seeing something strange as this is occurring.  It appears that the
> client's browser is holding onto the form and just randomly resending it
> the server without the user's knowledge.  And it finally stops when they
> close their browser or reboot their computer.  I know this makes zero sense.

This sounds like a lot of fun.  Can you tell from the logs (or doing some traceroute runs) if there's anything in common about the clients?  Things such as a small set of origins (e.g., PRC, NK, AOL, NSA) or client environment (iOS, Android, IE7) might give a clue.

I wonder if some intermediary box thinks it's being useful by trying to get responses to unacknowledged requests and keeps replaying them, but the real client lost interest and disconnected a long time ago.

 - Chuck

Re: [OT] Random Form Resubmissions

Posted by Andy Wang <aw...@ptc.com>.

>> From: Jerry Malcolm [mailto:techstuff@malcolms.com]
>> Subject: OT: Random Form Resubmissions
>
>> I have written defensive code in my webapp to detect this situation and
>> handle it.  So it's not a critical problem now. But it just frustrates
>> me that I have no clue what is going on.  And I'm curious if the users
>> are seeing something strange as this is occurring.  It appears that the
>> client's browser is holding onto the form and just randomly resending it
>> the server without the user's knowledge.  And it finally stops when they
>> close their browser or reboot their computer.  I know this makes zero sense.
>
> This sounds like a lot of fun.

HAH!! I was thinking the exact same thing :)

> Can you tell from the logs (or doing some traceroute runs) if there's anything in common about the clients?  Things such as a small set of origins (e.g., PRC, NK, AOL, NSA) or client environment (iOS, Android, IE7) might give a clue.
>
> I wonder if some intermediary box thinks it's being useful by trying to get responses to unacknowledged requests and keeps replaying them, but the real client lost interest and disconnected a long time ago.

The comment:
"And it finally stops when they close their browser or reboot their
computer."
has me thinking, proxy/internet security software on the system doing
it?  Or a browser extension.  But why and what eludes me.