Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Joshua Kramer <jo...@globalherald.net> on 2009/02/22 03:15:25 UTC

QPid-GIS

Hello,

Here's another idea I had for an exchange: the GIS exchange.  Using this
exchange, you could subscribe to messages destined for a certain
geographical area.

Here's an example of usage based on a MMORPG.  Suppose you had a playing
grid that was 36 square kilometers.  If your client application was a
player in the game, it could subscribe to events that occurred in the
particular 1 sq kilometer (let's call it a sector) in which you were
playing.  Suppose there was a monster that arrived in your sector.  It
would always broadcast its actions, and exact coordinates, to the queue
manager... when it arrived in your sector, you would receive messages on
its whereabouts because you were subscribed to that sector.  Collision
detection and other physics calculations could be done on the client
side when needed.

Or, for a more practical use, consider this.  Suppose NOAA ran a
QPid-GIS server containing data on weather events.  I could subscribe to
my area.  When a storm was approaching, once the storm entered my area,
the QPid-GIS server would broadcast the storm's data to my PC.
Conversely, my PC could send data from sensors, in realtime, back to
NOAA... and, better yet, anybody in my area who was subscribed in that
manner would get data from my sensors.  Wind speed, temperature,
barometric pressure, etc.

I have far more ideas than time on my hands :)

Thoughts?

Cheers,
-Josh

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: QPid-GIS

Posted by Jonathan Robie <jo...@redhat.com>.
Gordon Sim wrote:
> Carl Trieloff wrote:
>>
>> Jonathan wrote a going sailing example using the XML Exchange that
>> does something similar with
>> weather data. should be able to google it, or get him to post copy it
>> to the list.
>
> http://www.balisage.net/Proceedings/html/2008/Robie01/Balisage2008-Robie01.html

Yes - I used zip codes in my exanple, though.

It's useful to be able to combine geographical criteria with other
criteria, as the above example demonstrates.  We could easily write GIS
functions as external functions that could be used in queries.

I now have a working version of the XML Exchange that does not require
XML content in the body of the message, so this approach would also
support GIS purely in message headers. I'll check it in when I'm
convinced that a bug I thought I saw isn't really there.

Jonathan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: QPid-GIS

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Re: QPid-GIS

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Jonathan wrote a going sailing example using the XML Exchange that does
something similar with
weather data. should be able to google it, or get him to post copy it to
the list. This is an interesting variation...

Carl.

Re: QPid-GIS

Posted by John O'Hara <jo...@gmail.com>.
AWESOME!