Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Oege de Moor <oe...@semmle.com> on 2017/04/10 18:33:00 UTC

ActiveMQ + lgtm?

lgtm.com is an analytics engine for source code, free for open source.

It's currently in beta, continuously analysing commits of 160,000+
developers, working on 30,000+ open source projects. ActiveMQ is one of
these projects, and I am writing to ask for your feedback:

   - The overview <https://lgtm.com/projects/g/apache/activemq/> shows how
   ActiveMQ is steadily improving in quality - the number of "alerts" (issues
   identified by our out-of-the-box analyses, in red) drops steadily while the
   code grows (in blue). Does that tally with your own view of how ActiveMQ's
   quality is trending? From the contributors tab
   <https://lgtm.com/projects/g/apache/activemq/contributors:java> you can
   see Chris Shannon is responsible for most of the clean-up.
   - The remaining alerts (present in today's code) can be found here
   <https://lgtm.com/projects/g/apache/activemq/alerts/>. Many of them seem
   worthwhile to fix - what is the best way to collaborate with the ActiveMQ
   team on that? Would you like us to file JIRA issues, or even submit
   patches?
   - Would you consider enabling PR integration
   <https://lgtm.com/projects/g/apache/activemq/ci/> (where alerts are
   posted as review comments), so new alerts are caught at code-review time in
   future?
   - The most important feature of lgtm is its powerful query engine
   <https://lgtm.com/query/project:25620005/lang:java/> to create new
    analyses. Whenever you see a mistake that *could* have been caught with
   code analysis, it's easy to create a new query that does so. So the notion
   of "quality" is not set by lgtm.com - you can set it yourself by
   creating new queries, or modifying existing ones. Do you have
   ideas/challenges for queries? Perhaps checking adherence to API contracts
   that are particular to ActiveMQ? If you supply the ideas, we'll create the
   queries.

Any feedback you may have would be tremendously useful - please let us know
what you think!

Many thanks,

-Oege

Re: ActiveMQ + lgtm?

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
this looks like a very nice tool and useful. the ui is great :-)

re:
   - The remaining alerts (present in today's code) can be found here
   <https://lgtm.com/projects/g/apache/activemq/alerts/>. Many of them seem
   worthwhile to fix - what is the best way to collaborate with the ActiveMQ
   team on that? Would you like us to file JIRA issues, or even submit
   patches?

For sure, if you can provide patches, either via pr's or jiras that is
ideal.
Having a test that shows the real implication of an alert/flaw would be
even better so we can shore up our test coverage.