Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Mahesh Sivarama Pillai <sr...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/28 13:16:12 UTC

Need Help: LoadRunner with James 2.3.2

Hi,

I have encountered an issue during our Load Testing with James 2.3.2. The
load test tool being used is Load Runner. We have a corporate mail gateway
to relay messages to internal mail servers. But we are not supposed to use
it for Load Testing. So we have to send the email directly to the James
server from Load Runner.

Our Observation

   - When we send email through gateway from Load Runner, the email is
   received at our Internal Email server (James 2.3.2) without any issues
   - When we send the email directly to our internal James server, there
   are SMTP errors thrown like Syntax Error in MAIL command etc.
      -     When I put the from address between "<" and ">" in LoadRunner
      script, "Syntax Error in MAIL command" got resolved.
      -     Then I started getting some Message boundary exceptions.
   - When I use a Java Mail client and directly send the email to our
   internal server, there are no issues.
   - What I am thinking is (I may be wrong) “the email sent from the Load
   Runner may not be conforming to the SMTP standards. Our gateway is tolerant
   to these non-standard clients and might be formatting the SMTP message as
   per the standard”

Is this understanding correct ? Please provide your inputs on this
behavior. Have you ever come across this kind of scenarios and how it was
resolved ? Any input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Mahesh