Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Smita Kadle <sm...@tavant.com> on 2007/08/21 11:47:11 UTC

S2: Help required on Validation File Management.

Hi Folks,

I am using Struts 2.0.6 to create a web application on the
Spring/Hibernate stack. Validations in my application are done with
xwork 2.0.1 validators and I have a query in this regard which I hope
one of you can help me out with.

Domain objects in my application are created in 3 ways:-
1) Wizard like Web UI
2) Excel file upload
3) Data sync from an external system.
In options 2 and 3, the complete information required to create a
complete domain object is available in one shot, however, for option 1
the domain object is completed by capturing data from the user through
multiple screens. For example let us say the first page saves the object
to a draft state and the second page completes (submits) the object. So
I would be saving a partial object in the first page and complete object
in the second. I intend to use context based validation to valid my
domain object before saving and have 2 non-intersecting sets of
validation for the same:-
- Object-draft-validation.xml and
- Object-submit-validation.xml

Now when I want to invoke the complete set of validations at once for
option 2 & 3, I am forced to write a separate validation file
Object-validation.xml which is a union of the validations in the
previously mentioned 2 files. Instead of repeating the validations in
this file, I want to know whether there is a way to "include" the
previous 2 validation sets into this validation set. I was thinking of
using XInclude feature of XML to achieve this but it didn't quite go
well as the <validators> do not support namespace.

Has anyone here faced a similar issue or have any ideas how to go about
solving this?

Thanks & Regards,
Smita
Any comments or statements made in this email are not necessarily those of Tavant Technologies.
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you have received this in error, please contact the
sender and delete the material from any computer. All e-mails sent from or to Tavant Technologies.
may be subject to our monitoring procedures.