Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by "Burton-West, Tom" <tb...@umich.edu> on 2010/12/06 23:34:55 UTC

Is it possible to set the merge policy setMaxMergeMB from Solr

Lucene has this method to set the maximum size of a segment when merging: LogByteSizeMergePolicy.setMaxMergeMB   (http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_0_2/api/all/org/apache/lucene/index/LogByteSizeMergePolicy.html#setMaxMergeMB%28double%29 )

I would like to be able to set this in my solrconfig.xml.  Is this possible?  If not should I open a JIRA issue or is there some gotcha I am unaware of?

Tom

Tom Burton-West

Re: Is it possible to set the merge policy setMaxMergeMB from Solr

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

Another problem is that the NoMergePolicy has no empty constructor, so
it cannot be used.

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Jason Rutherglen
<ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> SOLR-1447 added this functionality.
>
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Burton-West, Tom <tb...@umich.edu> wrote:
>> Lucene has this method to set the maximum size of a segment when merging:
>> LogByteSizeMergePolicy.setMaxMergeMB
>> (http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_0_2/api/all/org/apache/lucene/index/LogByteSizeMergePolicy.html#setMaxMergeMB%28double%29
>> )
>>
>> I would like to be able to set this in my solrconfig.xml.  Is this
>> possible?  If not should I open a JIRA issue or is there some gotcha I am
>> unaware of?
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> Tom Burton-West

Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Is it possible to set the merge policy setMaxMergeMB from Solr

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
My mistake. You're so right- it should be 64.0 as a first try, not 1024.

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Jason Rutherglen
<ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Probably best to add something here as it currently has nothing
> regarding merge policies and has a long standing TODO on the
> indexDefaults.  http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrConfigXml
>
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Jason Rutherglen
> <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I worked on the patch and I can't keep it straight either.  We need to
>> update the wiki?
>>
>> I believe <double name="maxMergeMB">64.0</double> is correct.
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Burton-West, Tom <tb...@umich.edu> wrote:
>>> I'm a bit confused.
>>>
>>> There are some examples in the JIRA issue for Solr 1447, but I can't tell from reading it what the final allowed syntax is.
>>>
>>> I see
>>>
>>> <!--<mergePolicy class="org.apache.lucene.index.LogByteSizeMergePolicy">-->
>>>      <!--<double name="maxMergeMB">64.0</double>-->
>>>    <!--</mergePolicy>-->
>>> in the JIRA issue and in what I think is the test case config file:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/dev/branches/branch_3x/solr/src/test/test-files/solr/conf/solrconfig-propinject.xml?view=log
>>>
>>> Lance's example is
>>>
>>> <mergePolicy>org.apache.lucene.index.LogByteSizeMergePolicy
>>>    <maxMergeMB>1024</maxMergeMB>
>>> </mergePolicy>
>>>
>>> Which one is correct?
>>>
>>> Tom

Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Is it possible to set the merge policy setMaxMergeMB from Solr

Posted by Jason Rutherglen <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Rutherglen <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Rutherglen <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
I have not tried this, but some parts of the solrconfig elements
support setters for sub-elements. So, this might work but probably
won't.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com