Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Heiko Klein <He...@gmx.net> on 2006/09/10 14:27:55 UTC

Persistent session after browser restart, cookie expiration

Hi,

I'm currently moving an web-application from custom-made to
tomcat-servlet. Before, I used my own cookie management to store
user-preferences. The cookies had a persistence on the browser of 1
year, if the browser-configuration allowed that.

The default tomcat cookies for session-management seem to be deleted
with browser-restart. How can I keep a session open even if the user
restarts his computer? Or in other words, how can I set the 'Expires'
field of the session-cookie send to the browser?

Best regards,

Heiko

Re: Persistent session after browser restart, cookie expiration

Posted by Dies Koper <di...@jp.fujitsu.com>.
Hello Heiko,

I think you're looking for the following method:
javax.servlet.http.Cookie#setMaxAge(int expiry)

Its default value (see getMaxAge()) is -1 => the cookie persists until
browser shutdown.

Regards,
Dies

Posted by Marc Richards <mj...@yahoo.com>.
Could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like you really
want to use sessions for this usage because session
attributes are stored in memory in Tomcat (unless
you're using a backup manager).  In time, you will
have many sessions and cap your physical memory.  It
sounds like you just need to use a regular old cookie
instead.

-marc

Posted by Alexander Lazic <al...@none.at>.
Hi,