Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Adolfo Miguelez <pe...@hotmail.com> on 2002/07/05 23:50:13 UTC

Re: Object Relational Bridge is great ? A Basic Problem

Hi,

as a newbie in O/R mapping tools, APIs and frameworks I find the following
issue. All of the frameworks that I have browsed lacks from a basic problem:
The classes that maps the corresponding tables in the database must be
manually generated, either by hand (e.g. OJB) or by building the code (e.g.
Jakarta Torque).

This becomes a pain since it difficults to make an application that could
"learn" for itself a data model and create its own classes. No way, AFAIK,
for implementing general mechanism.

I know about BCEL project, which is able to compile classes in runtime, and
it could be really helpful to integrate with the previous ones and get
automathic mechanims, but I do not any framework that take advantage of
BCEL.

The only way that I have seen to do something similar, is the mini-project
SIMPER (Struts resources page), which is able to work out dynabeans
(actually they are hashmaps in their guts), following a database schema, for
it self. For me it has the problem that uses Servlets 2.3 filters and I am
working with Servlets 2.2 specs.

I just want to request your opinion or knowledge about a framework that can
implement itself such a classes, or a framework which classes are not
actually classes but hashmaps or something like that.... or even some one
taking advantage of BCEL or analogous mechanism. I know is a difficult
question, supposing that I am not mixing any concept up.

:-)

Thanks in advance,

Adolfo

Posted by Bryan Field-Elliot <br...@netmeme.org>.
On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 15:50, Adolfo Miguelez wrote:

    The only way that I have seen to do something similar, is the mini-project
    SIMPER (Struts resources page), which is able to work out dynabeans
    (actually they are hashmaps in their guts), following a database schema, for
    it self. For me it has the problem that uses Servlets 2.3 filters and I am
    working with Servlets 2.2 specs.

Adolfo,

It's on the to-do list for Simper to reduce the dependency on Servlet
2.3 Filters for transaction demarcation - instead, to use them as an
option, rather than a requirement. But before I can make those changes,
first, I need to learn how to get by on 3 hours sleep a night with
energy and enthusiasm to spare for projects like Simper. ;)

Bryan