Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2011/09/02 01:43:42 UTC

Re: How to send an OpenBitSet object from Solr server?

: I was not referring to Lucene's doc ids but the doc numbers (unique key)

Uh ... ok.  this is why i asked you waht you were planning on doing with
the OpenBitSet -- it's just bits, indicating hte offsets of the documents
in the total index.  having access to a copy of that on the lcient side
isn't going to give you any info about the value of the uniqueKey field.

Like i said ... XY Problem ... please tell us what you overall goal is.
why do you want the uniqueKey values for every matching doc in your remove
client?  What would you do with the OpenBitSet from solr if you had a copy
of it?

: > : We have a need to query and fetch millions of document ids from a Solr
: > 3.3
: > : index and convert the same to a BitSet. To speed things up, we want to
: > : convert these document ids into OpenBitSet on the server side, put them
: > into
: > : the response object and read the same on the client side.
: >
: > This smells like an XY Problem ... what do you intend to do with this
: > BitSet on the client side?  the lucene doc ids are meaningless outside of
: > hte server, and for any given doc, the id could change from one request to
: > the next -- so how would having this data on the clinet be of any use to
: > you?
: >
: > https://people.apache.org/~hossman/#xyproblem
: > XY Problem
: >
: > Your question appears to be an "XY Problem" ... that is: you are dealing
: > with "X", you are assuming "Y" will help you, and you are asking about "Y"
: > without giving more details about the "X" so that we can understand the
: > full issue.  Perhaps the best solution doesn't involve "Y" at all?
: > See Also: http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=542341

-Hoss