Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2015/07/29 15:55:38 UTC

[FlexJS][FalconJX] Ready for another release?

Hi,

It’s been too long since the last release, but I think we are at or near a
good stopping point for the next release.  The default UI looks better,
you can swap in a theme for many components, the layout subsystem is
working better, etc.

Is there anything else we “must” put in the next release?  I was going to
put off the rewrite of our handwritten JS to use the JS externs to a
future release but I am open to waiting until that gets done as it will
test the externs code we have now.

Thoughts?
-Alex

Re: [FlexJS][FalconJX] Ready for another release?

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/29/15, 4:12 PM, "omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of OmPrakash Muppirala"
<omuppi1@gmail.com on behalf of bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>

>> On 7/29/15, 3:24 PM, "Michael Schmalle" <te...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>> >On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 6:02 PM, OmPrakash Muppirala
>> ><bi...@gmail.com>

>>FlexJS.
>>think
>>it

>> >Or at least 0.5 or 1.0 alpha. :) I know there are 1000's of hours into
>>the
>> >compiler/transpiler/eternc side so having it at 0.0.2 really sucks.
>> >
>> >I know what Carlos is saying but the damn thing need to just have a
>> >release, then release again, and again adding things. This isn't a
>>fashion
>> >show where you get one walk down the ile, it's iterative. Haha
>>
>> My philosophy is to set expectations low and exceed them.
>

>I agree in general, but at this point, the expectations are low enough:-)
> We need to start raising them or risk not being ignored by the developer
>community.
>
>I will be giving at least one talk on FlexJS at ApacheCon Europe and
>hopefully one more at the HTML5 Dev Conf in San Francisco this year.
>Talking up a product which is at version 0.0.3, no matter how good it is
>technically is going to be hard.  If there is 1.0 version, we could be
>using these conferences as launchpads and generate more buzz, thereby
>getting more developers trying FlexJS.  Which in turn could lead to more
>feature requests and overall create a spiral upwards for FlexJS.

Or, people will try it, see that it has issues, and never return.  There
are folks who will keep trying it because they are motivated, and folks
who will only give you one chance to make a good impression.  I have no
idea what kinds of folks we are going to reach at ApacheCon.  Maybe I’m
being too pessimistic, but I don’t think this code is beta quality just
yet.

>> Once I hear
>> that folks on this list are actually building things that work with
>>FlexJS
>> then I’d say we are ready to tell more folks about it by giving it a 1.0
>> version.
>

>How many apps do you think it will take to get to that point?  I am
>planning on building at least one easy to medium sample application that
>shows off databinding, layouts, graphs, skinning etc.
>
>Maybe others can start chipping in by building small examples?

IMO, it can’t be an “example”.  We have examples in the release.  My goal
is to actually deploy something somewhere that is useful so we can point
to it and say “look, this is working and useful and was built by this
technology”.  I had a conversation recently with folks from a large
company with lots of old Flex code.  Their first question was: “is anybody
using FlexJS in production?”  My sense is they want to make sure somebody
has gotten all the way to the end of the road before they start.

>> My goal after this release is to try to get something useful
>> running.  I’m sort of leaning toward this still being 0.0.3 and then
>> trying to get that something running and call it 0.5 or 0.9 and then if
>> someone else is successful that can be 1.0.
>>

>In todays world of Chrome 44, Firefox 39, Flash Player 17, etc. version
>numbers don't really mean what they used to.  IMHO, 1.0 is the new 'Beta'.
>A 0.0.3 would be a pre-alpha or a prototype/proof-of-concept which will be
>hard to get people excited about.  I mean, what product with a version
>number less than 1.0 have you used recently?

To me, the quality level is still alpha.  With more folks contributing we
can get to better quality faster.  Lots of new JS frameworks have version
numbers < 0.  Or put it this way: when you try other betas, do they do
what Carlos said and work pretty well out of the box?  Do we?

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

How many apps do you think it will take to get to that point?  I am
planning on building at least one easy to medium sample application that
shows off databinding, layouts, graphs, skinning etc.

Maybe others can start chipping in by building small examples?

> My goal after this release is to try to get something useful
> running.  I’m sort of leaning toward this still being 0.0.3 and then
> trying to get that something running and call it 0.5 or 0.9 and then if
> someone else is successful that can be 1.0.

In todays world of Chrome 44, Firefox 39, Flash Player 17, etc. version
numbers don't really mean what they used to.  IMHO, 1.0 is the new 'Beta'.
A 0.0.3 would be a pre-alpha or a prototype/proof-of-concept which will be
hard to get people excited about.  I mean, what product with a version
number less than 1.0 have you used recently?

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I updated the “nightly” build.  It appears to have GCL bundled and the
externs js files that Josh is looking for.  Use the installer to install
it.  Don’t forget to right-click to list dev builds.

I have also updated the FlexJSStore example [1] on my site based on this
build.  It isn’t perfect (waiting on  a Container bug fix from Peter) but
is looking much better.  Bin-release and bin-debug are the SWF versions,
bin/js-release and bin/js-debug are the cross-compiled versions.

This week I plan to work on Compiler bugs and maybe next week we’ll see an
actual release candidate unless there are other things we need to polish
up first.

Thanks,
-Alex

[1] http://people.apache.org/~aharui/FlexJS/FlexJSStore/

Re: Losing my mind on iOS and URLRequest

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Haha, been there, done that (several times) :-)

Posted by Jason Taylor <ja...@dedoose.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
OK, Installing FlexJS Nightly seems to be working again.

-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Deepak MS <me...@gmail.com>.
"In FlexJS, I would expect the same ease of testing so people could enter
the game. In my case, I have many difficulties to get my hands dirty, but
my passion for this technology makes me continue following it. But, for
others, it's not the case. We need to make things more easy to get started,
and that's what I would expect from a new release...something I could
donwload, install and test (no environment variables to configure, no
tricky steps that makes me reach out of time and wait for another day to
continue figuring how to get things work.

For, example, I know some months ago FlexJS is not requiring Flex SDK
anymore...but I was testing it and I find I need it!.
I think we have lots of complexity, and I would ask here that the effort to
make the release would be driven towards making the release much more
friendly so people could taste it, love it, and want to contribute.

I think there's much more peple out there like me that want to help, but
maybe because there's few time to invest or maybe by the complexity of
things, we end throwing the towel without reaching the point of get the
environment set up correctly since there's many things involved."

I completely agree with Carlos on those points mentioned. That's exactly
what's happening with me too. I wanted to check out my existing projects
with FlexJS and see what errors I get so that I could at least report them.
But I'm not able to setup the environment itself at first place. I was
following this link

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Using+FlexJS+with+Adobe+Flash+Builder

I had tried to install FlexJS a while ago, but faced some installation
problems due to network in office. I tried that at home and installed. But
when I created a new project(in FB 4.6) and changed the compiler to FlexJS,
the workspace would just crash. I had reported this in mailing list that
time. But there are so many emails everyday that it might have got missed
somehow(which is very easy out of so many emails) and I couldn't get much
time again to try it out and I just left it there.

This morning, I again tried to install FlexJS 0.2(Jburg), but getting this
error today:
Installer version 3.2.0 (windows)
Using Locale: en_US
Fetched the SDK download mirror URL from the CGI.
Unable to load
http://apacheflexbuild.cloudapp.net:8080/job/FlexJS002Workaround/ws/apache-flex-flexjs-installer-config.xml
Installation aborted

( I was unable to open that xml in browser too)

If installation and setting up things makes it easy, then I'm sure many
people(like me) will start using it.

And I agree with Om too. All these days, I had been thinking that 0.0.2 was
very alpha state to even try out. I had no idea that it's in a state that
is worth giving a try until Alex mentioned it in email. So, something like
1.0 would strive users to give it a go and it may even exceed people's
expectation.

I started my career with flex\actionscript and I had no idea about how
painful html\javascript was until I recently started to just get a hang of
it. And there are no frameworks which are declarative and as easy as
mxml\actionscript. And if we get flexjs in action, I'm sure there wont be
any stopper again.

But it's really a great work from all you guys out there. Thumbs Up!

Cheers!

Re: [FlexJS][FalconJX] Ready for another release?

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi,

I think we are not beta stage. There was lots of progress internaly, but
many of the things are not seen for a SDK external user and the point is
nobody here will be using FlexJS sdks today for production. So, for me this
is the separation between alpha/beta states. You can go 1.0 beta as soon
people could use FlexJS in production.

The actual numeration is right for me. samples out there:
*ReactJS v0.13.3 (http://facebook.github.io/react/)
*Polymerdart v0.16.3+3 (https://pub.dartlang.org/packages/polymer)
*nodejs  v0.12.7 (https://nodejs.org)

Following this patterns we should release and iterate more over this
numbers to get FlexJS v0.4, then 0.5, 0.10....and so on

The expectations right now are low. FlexJS is not even know for the JS
community out there, and I think we have only one shot to show something
that could work for people out there.
My fear is, that showing something still is not for production, and is hard
to impossible difficult to set up, makes people end with FlexJS before they
start.

For IDEs. I think Flash Builder is out of the game for some years now, I
left follow 5 years now and I think the product is without development
stuck in 4.7 (please let me know if is I'm missing something)
IntelliJ is the new IDE of choice out there, and is normal they no invest
nothing until frameworks will have some good statistics. So in this case is
clear: We should get some supporters for FlexJS and get some devs numbers
before IntelliJ could get FlexJS official support.

But this is not a problem, since, if we get FlexJS could get easy
installation and ease of development even with a note pad and command line
tools, people could try it and adopt it like any other JS framework out
there like Angular, React, and so on.

We should get the point that out there, thing are changing thanks to tools
like npm, bower, webpack and so on... so I think we should, in the end, be
in the same scenarios that other frameworks are.
a JS dev should expect to use npm to get FlexJS in his machine.

> IMO, both Flash Builder and IntelliJ are saying the same thing:  “show us
> that folks want it, then we’ll look into it”.   It is a chicken and egg
> problem.
>
> For FB, I think FlexJS plugs in pretty easily.  The first rough spot is if
> you want to create a new project: there is no menu option for creating a
> FlexJS project and if you create a Flex project with the FlexJS SDK you
> get a broken MXML file.  We could smooth that a bit by creating an
> external tool that fixes up your MXML.  It would be more work to have an
> external tool generate a project and have you import it, and probably lots
> of work to add a new menu option to generate such a project.
>
> But again, I am concerned that even if folks get to this point, they
> aren’t going to see beta or 1.0 quality.  But with the help of others, I
> think we can make great strides soon.
>
> -Alex
>
> On 7/29/15, 10:26 PM, "piotrz" <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Guys,
> >
> >One thing for simplifying stuff related to FlexJS. I think not everythink
> >depends on us, because if you want to use FlexJS and build some app you
> >have
> >to go through the set up process of your IDE.
> >Currently I cant tell my friends - "Hey look what you can do in FlexJS -
> >download it and add to your IDE - start building something!"
> >Additional question is how to convince people from JetBrains and get from
> >them support for FlexJS in Intellij? How to get their real attention?
> >
> >What with Flash Builder it is also IDE which needs to be modified in order
> >to have FlexJS full support? I doubt that Adobe have any plans to release
> >any new version.
> >
> >So we have only one serious and really good IDE, but currently with semi
> >support for FlexJS.
> >
> >Piotr
> >

> >-----
> >Apache Flex PMC
> >piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com
> >--

Carlos Rovira
Director General
M: +34 607 22 60 05
http://www.codeoscopic.com
http://www.avant2.es

proceda a su destrucción.

oficinas c/ Tres Creus, nº 104, 2-1, 08202 de Sabadell (Barcelona) con la
documentación necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS][FalconJX] Ready for another release?

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 1:42 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> IMO, both Flash Builder and IntelliJ are saying the same thing:  “show us
> that folks want it, then we’ll look into it”.   It is a chicken and egg
> problem.

IMHO the chicken and egg thing is actually how many people are working on
this project right now.

Looking at commits... 5, 6 randomly through 3-4 months, am I wrong here?

Users want to use something that is getting left behind by the amount of
people actually creating it. If this chicken egg thing keeps happening this
way, there is no way FlexJS can even keep up with all the other options
that are evolving this year.

I put in a bit of time the last two months because I knew 2015 was the time
this project had to jump in.

Maybe Josh's experiment might help the project if he decides to keep going,
at least the compiler would get some attention from people in his circles
which is quite large.

Anyway, I have no answers other than there needs to be some type of written
documentation that spells this whole project out and tires to get people
that have coding skills interested.

I am pretty sure the lowlevel compiler can be maintained by the current 3-4
people that have developed it but, it's the other part Carlos etal are
talking about that needs 20+ devs contributing randomly.

Mike

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Alex,

> Hi Carlos,
>
> I agree that making it easier to get started is important.  It would be
> great if you can find time to try the latest builds once the build server
> comes up.  I think we fixed the SDK dependencies in the binary package.
> Building from the source will probably always require other upstream
> sources/repos, however.

yeah, I'd like to test, and I'd get some free time in a few days I enter on
vacation period.

> If you have ideas for a simple HTTPService/REST/JSON sample that you think
> would be a killer example for us to include, please provide more details
> so we can ponder whether to delay the release or just ship what we have
> and focus on things like that for the next release (which will hopefully
> not be a year from now, probably a couple of months).

The data communication I was talking about was relating to feathers (I want
to expose how easy it was for me to get up and running)
The main key point for me is getting FlexJS get rid off any complication
and get as smooth installation as we could get, so people entering FlexJS
world
could get a package and start testing this technology in few minutes. So in
the end some folks could go further and start contributing.
The key is...if people (like me) that loves this technology but has very
few time, can't get his hands dirty is why the setup complexity is very
high.
We should be able to lower the barrier in this release (no more things,
please, only remove configuration things, additional environment setup,...)

People should be running with no other things installed or configured...

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Carlos,

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Alex,

from my point of view I want to share some thoughts about what I would
expect from a new release.

I little background first please: Things are going very fast out there,
with Polymer reaching 1.0, people exploring ReactJS, AngularJS 2 coming,
Coffescript/Frame doing some cool and simple screens... Dart+PolymertDart
is the preferred combo for people that search something like Flex in
HTML5/JS...

And in our side we had a great effort in FlexJS, and aside (since is not in
this project), but is completely  related, Josh add MXML to feathers and
now integrated FlexJS and CreateJS in a very cool experiment.

Now going to the point: One thing I liked so much was the ease of testing
that Josh made in the feathers/MXML 2 beta. I could download and test it to

Posted by Héctor A <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.