Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Walter G. da Cruz" <wd...@pacbell.net> on 2001/08/25 07:42:10 UTC

A successful story about Cocoon C2b2

	After _several_ tries, building Cocoon from scratch, and reading most of the
e-mails from the newsgroup/Java Guru/Web site documentation, I finally managed to
make Cocoon work on my Personal Web site!
	Thank you very much Steffano and the Cocoon team for this wonderful servlet!  Here
is my configuration:

	RedHat Linux 7.1 Kernel 2.4.1 i386 architecture.
	SUN JDK 1.3.1 b24
	Jakarta-Tomcat 3.2.3
	SOAP 2.2 (just in case somebody need it).

	Here are some notes I came across during the installation:
	1. run dos2unix bin/ant and dos2unix bin/antRun
	2. rerun build.sh.
	3. rename jaxp.jar for jaxp.jar.old (according to the documentation)
	4. rename parser.jar for zparser.jar
	5. Copy the xerces-1.4.1 into $TOMCAT_HOME/lib/

	Then, I started getting:

type internal-server-error

message The sitemap handler's sitemap is not available. Please check
/opt/java/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2/webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/logs/cocoon.log for
the exact error.

	This problem went away after I installed jakarta-tomcat-3.2.3 (and rebuild ed
cocoon from scratch).

	6. The next error message I received was: (from $TOMCAT_HOME/logs/servlet.log or
from the Http://localhost:8080/cocoon/):

org.xml.sax.SAXException: Could not get valid parserNamespace not supported by
SAXParser

path="/cocoon" :ERROR   99871   [cocoon  ] (main): Cannot produce a valid parser
javax.xml.parsers.ParserConfigurationException: Namespace not supported by SAXParser

	7. Now, the problem is the parser.  I remember,back of the time I was trying to
install Cocoon 1.8.x, that xerces had to be the first .jar that is loaded from the
$TOMCAT_HOME/lib directory.  Therefore, I renamed xerces-1.4.1.jar as
aaxerces-1.4.1.jar (a dirty solution, but it works).

	8. Then, I received another error message: The sitemap can not open the display
(0,0) (from
/opt/java/jakarta-tomcat-3.2.2/webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/logs/cocoon.log).  I was
connecting to my machine remotely using ssh.  The error message suggests that
sitemap was trying to open a window in the local display.  So I wait until I went
home and run the program locally.

	9. Went I tried at home, to my enjoy, Cocoon started.  After I was able to fired up
cocoon from my local machine, I was able to connect from other machines.  I guess,
the first time you try to run Cocoon, you have to try in the machine itself.  If
you want to take a look at it:

http://63.195.86.146:8080/cocoon/welcome

	Again, thank you Steffano and the Cocoon team for this,

			Walter

--

  "If we were logical, the future would be bleak indeed. But | (408)294-4750
  we are more than logical. We are human beings, and we have | wdacruz@wdacruz.com

Re: A successful story about Cocoon C2b2

Posted by "Walter G. da Cruz" <wd...@pacbell.net>.
Kris:

	Thank you for your support.  I don't know much about SVG to answer your question,
but I hope I can help you installing Cocoon in case that you need it.

			Thank you, Walter