Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Anshu Vajpayee <an...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/14 10:33:20 UTC

Upgrade using rebuild

Hi -

Is it possible to upgrade a  cluster ( DC wise) using nodetool rebuild ?

--
*C*heers,*
*Anshu V*

RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Upgrade using rebuild

Posted by "Durity, Sean R" <SE...@homedepot.com>.
The sstable formats/versions are different. Streaming uses those formats. Streaming doesn’t work across major versions (for sure), and I don’t even try it across minor versions.

To ensure Cassandra-happiness, follow the rule:
For streaming operations (adding nodes, rebuild, repairs, etc.) have everything on the same version.

Version upgrades can be automated relatively easily and complete in a reasonable period of time. Plan them accordingly and don’t do streaming until they are completed.

Sean Durity

Posted by Anshu Vajpayee <an...@gmail.com>.

--
*C*heers,*
*Anshu V*

Re: Upgrade using rebuild

Posted by Anshu Vajpayee <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jon.

--
*C*heers,*
*Anshu V*

Re: Upgrade using rebuild

Posted by Jon Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.
Heh, hit send accidentally.

Re: Upgrade using rebuild

Posted by Jon Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.
no

Re: Upgrade using rebuild

Posted by Anshu Vajpayee <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks! I am aware with these steps.

I m just thinking , is it possible to do the upgrade using nodetool rebuild
like  we rebuld new dc ?

Has anyone tried -  upgrade with nodetool rebuild ?

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 at 7:08 PM, Hannu Kröger <hk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you want to do a version upgrade, you need to basically do follow node
> by node:
>
> 0) stop repairs
> 1) make sure your sstables are at the latest version (nodetool
> upgradesstables can do it)
> 2) stop cassandra
> 3) update cassandra software and update cassandra.yaml and
> cassandra-env.sh files
> 4) start cassandra
>
> After all nodes are up, run “nodetool upgradesstables” on each node to
> update your sstables to the latest version.
>
> Also please note that when you upgrade, you need to upgrade only between
> compatible versions.
>
> E.g. 2.2.x -> 3.0.x  but not 1.2 to 3.11
>
> Cheers,
> Hannu
>
> On 14 December 2017 at 12:33:49, Anshu Vajpayee (anshu.vajpayee@gmail.com)
> wrote:
>
> Hi -
>
> Is it possible to upgrade a  cluster ( DC wise) using nodetool rebuild ?
>

> --
> *C*heers,*
> *Anshu V*
>

> --