Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by co...@covalent.net on 2002/08/27 00:11:26 UTC

Chuid - merging code from daemon into jk2

I would like to add the code dealing with 'chuid' from daemon into jk2.
That will involve jk_user.c and a JkUser.java, using the regular jk
communication.

In order to change the uid from root to a regular user, you will add
 user.name=...
 user.group=...
in jk2.properties.

I would also like to merge the code related with the services from
daemon - and combine it with the .properties-style used by the current
service code.  The 'launch jvm from C' code is very similar with what
we already have, but it needs to be reviewed in case some feature
is not yet implemented.

Comments ?

BTW, my vacation starts next week, and I'll have little or no email for 3
weeks - but a lot of plane traveling.

Costin

Re: Chuid - merging code from daemon into jk2

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>.
Quoting Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>:

> Bojan Smojver wrote:
>
> > Quoting costinm@covalent.net:
> >
> >> In order to change the uid from root to a regular user, you will add
> >>  user.name=...
> >>  user.group=...
> >> in jk2.properties.
> >
> > I'm not too familiar with this - which part here is running as root?
>
> If you want to start tomcat on port 80, you need to start it as root
> so it can open the socket - but need to drop the priviledges for
> security.

OK, thanks. It obviously doesn't affect me as I never run Tomcat as the web
server on port 80.

Bojan

Re: Chuid - merging code from daemon into jk2

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@rexursive.com>.