Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Michael Ryan <mr...@moreover.com> on 2011/10/11 19:59:42 UTC

setting a large positionIncrementGap

Is there any negative side-effects of setting a very large positionIncrementGap?  For example, I use positionIncrementGap=100 right now - is there any reason for me to not use positionIncrementGap=10000, or even greater?

I saw a thread from a few months ago asking something like this, but I didn't see firm resolution.

-Michael

RE: setting a large positionIncrementGap

Posted by Michael Ryan <mr...@moreover.com>.
> Separately: why do you want to make the gap so large?

No reason, really. I'm just curious about how it works under the covers.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
This gap is vInt encoded in the index, so you'll use more bytes as you
increase it (but only per-additional-field-value, ie, on the
transition from one field to another).

Also the max the position is allowed to be is roughly 2.1B
(Integer.MAX_VALUE), so don't set the gap to something that could
overflow that.

Separately: why do you want to make the gap so large?

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com