Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Aram Mirzadeh <aw...@qosina.com> on 1997/01/15 01:21:40 UTC

[BUG]: "Linux returns ENOTDIR when CGI script invoked with PATH_INFO." on Linux (fwd)

Ack.  JFYI.

lstone@gte.net said:
> From nobody@hyperreal.com  Mon Jan 13 00:35:19 1997
> From: lstone@gte.net
> To: awm@qosina.com
> Date: Sun Jan 12 21:36:09 1997
> Subject: [BUG]: "Linux returns ENOTDIR when CGI script invoked with PATH_INFO." on Linux
>
> Submitter: lstone@gte.net
> Operating system: Linux, version: 2.0.27
> Version of Apache Used: 1.1.2
> Extra Modules used: none
> URL exhibiting problem: Sorry, I don't have an accessible web site yet.
>
> Symptoms:
> --
> The server is unable to process CGI scripts with
> PATH_INFO specified in the URL. The stat() call
> returns ENOTDIR, rather than ENOENT, and so the
> logic added in 1.1.2 causes the server to report
> an error (unexpected stat() result) rather than
> parse off the PATH_INFO and check again for the
> CGI script file.
> I think the same thing is happening on Solaris 2.5.
> I saw the same behavior, but don't have access to
> the machine right now, so I can't check the errno
> value returned by stat() to be sure.
> I "fixed" the problem by checking for ENOTDIR as
> well as ENOENT. I don't know if this reopens the
> security problem, though.
> Thanks for a great server, and I hope this helps.
> --
>
> Backtrace:

/*
 * Aram Mirzadeh, MIS Manager, Qosina Corp. http://www.qosina.com/~awm/
 * Apache Development Team, awm@hyperreal.com http://www.hyperreal.com/
 * PGP Key - http://www.qosina.com/~awm/pgpkey.html
 * BE 49 9D F6 2A A7 22 FC  02 E9 1E 3D F7 0C 67 A0
 *
 * The wise man doesn't give the right answers, he poses the right questions.
 * 							--Claude Levi-Strauss
 */

Re: [BUG]: "Linux returns ENOTDIR when CGI script invoked with PATH_INFO." on Linux (fwd)

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.
Yes.  Fixing it was the whole (well, the main) point of the 1.1.3 release.

It was fixed in 1.2... yesterday I guess.

Posted by ra...@lerdorf.on.ca.