Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Husain, Yavar" <yh...@firstam.com> on 2011/12/21 11:58:52 UTC

Solr Tomcat Maximum Heap Memory

I know this is a Solr forum however my problem is related to Solr running on Tomcat running on Windows 64 bit OS.

I am running a 32 bit JVM on a 64 bit Windows 2008 Server. The max heap space I am able to allocate is around 1.5 GB though I have 10 GB of RAM on my system and there is no other process running.
I understand the limit of max 2GB of heap space that can be allocated on Windows for a process. However I have seen in the forums people state using Xmx upto 10G. How is this possible? If I move to Linux, can I get more heap space allocated to the process or is it related to JVM?

Simply put, how can I allocate atleast 8GB of RAM as Xmx to Tomcat on my 64 bit Windows. The tomcat crashes when I start. Please help.
</PRE>
<BR>
******************************************************************************************<BR>This message may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the use of the<BR>addressee(s) named above or may contain information that is legally privileged. If you are<BR>not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended addressee,<BR>you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is strictly<BR>prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please immediately notify us by<BR>replying to the message and delete the original message and any copies immediately thereafter.<BR>
<BR>
Thank you.~<BR>
******************************************************************************************<BR>
FAFLD<BR>
<PRE>

Re: Solr Tomcat Maximum Heap Memory

Posted by Andre Bois-Crettez <an...@kelkoo.com>.
Try running a 64bit  JVM on your 64bits OS, it should work for much
larger heaps sizes, be it Linux or Windows.

Beware that the memory need is around 30% more important with a 64 bits
JVM (bigger object pointers) if you are not using Compressed Oops :
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/vm/performance-enhancements-7.html#compressedOop

André

--
André Bois-Crettez

Search technology, Kelkoo
http://www.kelkoo.com/

Kelkoo SAS
Société par Actions Simplifiée
Au capital de € 4.168.964,30
Siège social : 8, rue du Sentier 75002 Paris
425 093 069 RCS Paris

Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et établis à l'attention exclusive de leurs destinataires. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce message, merci de le détruire et d'en avertir l'expéditeur.