Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Bachler, Elisabeth (Elisabeth)" <eb...@alcatel-lucent.com> on 2007/06/27 12:28:18 UTC

How to read environment entry?

Hi,
I have an application and I need to specify a string (that will be
different in each site), so the header I am using in each jsp page will
be able to read it and show it..... I could do it using web.xml but I
was wondering if it was possible to do it using, in the Tomcat server
tool (context (application) ==> Resources ==> Environment entries) to
add a new envt entry such headerApp... And read it in each jsp file ...
How?

Thanks
Elisabeth

Re: How to read environment entry?

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Hi Liz,

I think you have to get it back using something like this
Context initCtx = new InitialContext();
Context envCtx = (Context ) initCtx.lookup("java:comp/env");
String myString = (DataSource) envCtx.lookup("env/NameOfString");

The above is a guess.... you will need to read up on JNDI resources.

Just really wanted to say that you seem to be relying on the Admin tool, and
wanted you to note that its absent from TC6... so if you upgrade, you wont
be able to do it, and then the XML is just as much hassle.

I would also consider normal system properties.
You get then back as System.getProperty("whatever");
but they can be set in many places.

- From another program
- In the -D parameter when java starts, or when TC starts.
- If you using MS TC server... in the Service Panel -> Under Java Options (I
think you may like that)

Have fun

Read doc on environment entries in tomcat context documentation:

En l'instant précis du 27/06/07 12:28, Bachler, Elisabeth (Elisabeth)
s'exprimait en ces termes:

Re: Using auto-configure with Tomcat 6.0

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Johnny Kewl" <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi Bill almost missed your reply...
> I'm subscribed to so many mailing lists, my incoming mail is starting to
> look like a flash animation...
>
> Briefly, yes... I am looking at it....
> or more accurately I'm struggling with a cool exciting concept....
>
> Goes something like this.... auto JK config maybe a "toy" as you say, but
> besides JMX, it was one of the few things that presented a partial model
> of TC to another system.... that concept I find very appealing.
> I'm thinking... ok, well JMX (via the internal mbeans registering
> themselves), represents the live model of Tomcat.
> and.... JMX has effectively demoted XML configuration to something that
> now really just represents the persisted static model of TC.

This isn't how Tomcat-Standalone works, but it easily could be.  I haven't
looked at the JBoss code, but I understand that they use JMX to embed Tomcat
from the persisted static setup.

> So if one wants to make helper tools... those tools need to be interfaced
> with and aware of both the live and static models of TC.
> As a simple auto JK tool, its, as you say, a toy.... but now add JK load
> balancing to it, and mod_proxy with the ability to perhaps even configure
> HTTPd, then someone will go, gee thats cool, lets make it easy to
> configure

Configuring httpd is something that has been talked about for mod_jk3
(currently just being discussed, slowly on dev@tomcat).  You can read about
it at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/connectors/trunk/jk3/ROADMAP,
and of course you can offer any suggestions (aka patches) on dev@tomcat or
BZ just like any other Tomcat document.

> SSO, and the realm, and hey lets add JNDI to that.... and then people are
> going to scream for a JMX interface to this easy configurator....

There is the JMXProxy in /manager, JConsole, etc.

> .....thats how I'm thinking....but it raising all sorts of issues in my
> mind....
> Like maybe the whole concept of core beans registering themselves with JMX
> is wrong.... or maybe there has to be JMX for the expert TC developer and
> a JMX for the admin dude.

The more-or-less abandoned /admin webapp was meant to be a JMX interface for
the admin dude.  Unfortunately, it lost it's developers to GlassFish, and
now is still too tied to the TC 4.1.x (where it originated) way of doing
things to be of much use in TC 6.x.  IMHO, it would probably need a re-write
to be accepted for TC 6.x.

> For example (I havnt tried it), but what happens to TC if you change the
> connected port, or reset a Realm through JMX... its live, so just how
> badly

Well, for the connected port, you would have to stop and start the Connector
for it to take effect (possible via JMX).  I haven't looked recently at what
the Realms expose, but mostly I would think that they would take effect
immediately (i.e. on the next Request).

> would that screw up TC.... or will TC raise an exception and just ignore
> you.... just how smart are the core beans?
> Now JMX through the "easy configurator" or "TC modeler".... would be
> something different, if you change the JK load sharing, it would say
> "configuration illegal", or "new configuration will become active on a TC
> restart.... do you want to restart when user activity has ceased".
> It would become the model of TC that people see.... it would become a
> "modeler".... and it would become a safe layer between the live TC and
> what people are trying to make it do?

Again, the starting point would be to look at the /admin webapp, which tries
to do just that.  Like auto-configure, it is a popular option with users
that currently doesn't have much love in the dev@tomcat community :).

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

> Bill, let me just say that your little auto module helped me tremendously
> when I first looked at JK, for a newbie, having that stuff generated
> becomes a great tutorial in itself, so its a damn shame it will probably
> fall away. I had a look at the code, and I see there are other
> maintainers, have they also moved on?

It's not mine by a long shot :).  I just did the port from TC 3.3.x to TC 4
(they have very different designs).  Pretty much all of the other @auther
tags are copied from it's TC 3.3.x days.  I'm not saying that I wouldn't be
happy to review and commit patches to it.  Just that I currently don't have
much of an itch to write the patches myself.

> Its a great tool.
>
> I see BaseJkConfig is the base class, and some functions are overridden in
> Apache Config, IIS Config, and NS Config.... I have zero interest in IIS
> and NS, but Apache -> TC is pure magic...

It is a cute little toy, but it hasn't kept up with the changes to mod_jk
(not to mention that it doesn't support mod_proxy_ajp at all).  However, the
last meaningful change to it was in 2004.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Interesting Analysis Bill

BTW: the catalina.bat is almost non-functional which I think could be
replaced by typing
java %JAVA_OPTS% -jar bootstrap.jar..sorry separate thread..

What do you gain by implementing mod_proxy_ajp over mod_jk.conf-auto?

Many Thanks
Martin

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by "Bachler, Elisabeth (Elisabeth)" <eb...@alcatel-lucent.com>.