Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2010/06/01 16:51:26 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Commercial Tasks in Ant

On 2010-05-29, Bruce Atherton wrote:

> I'd like to discuss whether to move all of the commercial tasks out of
> Ant core/optional libraries and putting them each into their own
> Antlibs.

+1 - I'm not sure we must stop at the commercial task (is there any
reason to include the CVS tasks with Ant today?), but it will be a
start.

> The tasks that I can see that would be affected are as follows. Please
> add or delete items from the list if you don't agree.

looks complete to me.

>     - EJB Tasks: Note that there may no longer be a need for these as
>       the servers are very old, we could instead deprecate and eventually
>       get rid of.

+1

Stefan

Re: [DISCUSS] Commercial Tasks in Ant

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 2010-05-29, Bruce Atherton wrote:
>

>> I'd like to discuss whether to move all of the commercial tasks out of
>> Ant core/optional libraries and putting them each into their own
>> Antlibs.
>>

> +1 - I'm not sure we must stop at the commercial task (is there any
> reason to include the CVS tasks with Ant today?), but it will be a
> start.
>

>> The tasks that I can see that would be affected are as follows. Please
>> add or delete items from the list if you don't agree.
>>

> looks complete to me.
>

>>     - EJB Tasks: Note that there may no longer be a need for these as
>>       the servers are very old, we could instead deprecate and eventually
>>       get rid of.
>>

> +1
>
> Stefan

+1

Antoine

Re: [DISCUSS] Commercial Tasks in Ant

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-06-11, Bruce Atherton wrote:

> On 01/06/2010 7:51 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> +1 - I'm not sure we must stop at the commercial task (is there any
>> reason to include the CVS tasks with Ant today?), but it will be a
>> start.

> I can add CVS to the list if there are no objections. Any other tasks
> to nominate for transfer to an antlib?

While Peter's point applies to all the other tasks as well, he's
probably right that the impact would be too big if we removed the CVS
task.

> One other thing. I think the vote should be to move these to their own
> separate antlibs in the sandbox. That will clearly indicate that they
> are unsupported.

Agreed.

> My only concern is with the difficulty in getting them out of the
> sandbox once we have a volunteer or two to maintain them, as happened
> with VSS. I'm not sure what the answer should be for this problem.

We'll have to find one once the situation comes up.  It looks as if we
were on a way for VSS, but this is just because we now have three
committers with access to the software.

Stefan

Re: [DISCUSS] Commercial Tasks in Ant

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com> wrote:
> On 01/06/2010 7:51 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>
>> On 2010-05-29, Bruce Atherton wrote:
>>

>>> I'd like to discuss whether to move all of the commercial tasks out of
>>> Ant core/optional libraries and putting them each into their own
>>> Antlibs.
>>>

>> +1 - I'm not sure we must stop at the commercial task (is there any
>> reason to include the CVS tasks with Ant today?), but it will be a
>> start.
>>

> I can add CVS to the list if there are no objections. Any other tasks to
> nominate for transfer to an antlib?

ekk no, I think that a lot of build scripts
in the wild depend on the cvs tasks,
and would be quite expensive to fix

if they are to be moved to an antlib, we should
have an ivy (or similar) based auto loading of
the antlib.

Peter

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.
On 01/06/2010 7:51 AM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 2010-05-29, Bruce Atherton wrote:
>

>> I'd like to discuss whether to move all of the commercial tasks out of
>> Ant core/optional libraries and putting them each into their own
>> Antlibs.
>>
> +1 - I'm not sure we must stop at the commercial task (is there any
> reason to include the CVS tasks with Ant today?), but it will be a
> start.

I can add CVS to the list if there are no objections. Any other tasks to
nominate for transfer to an antlib?

>>      - EJB Tasks: Note that there may no longer be a need for these as
>>        the servers are very old, we could instead deprecate and eventually
>>        get rid of.
>>
> +1

So a separate vote for these to be deprecated in the next release and
removed in the release after that?

One other thing. I think the vote should be to move these to their own
separate antlibs in the sandbox. That will clearly indicate that they
are unsupported. My only concern is with the difficulty in getting them