Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Steven Murphy <st...@hotmail.com> on 2005/08/05 15:04:40 UTC

External Module Controller

Like I mentioned in my previous mail (Adding To The Menu), I have copied the
ModuleController and ModuleControllerGUI classes to use as templates to
create an External Module Controller object.

So far I have altered the 'init' method in the ExternalModuleControllerGUI
class so that it displays a FilePanel, to browse to the external Test Plan
that is to be executed, and stopped the drop down menu from being displayed.

I have also added the following code to the 'modifyTestElement' method

testPlanName = new String(filePanel.getFilename()); // store the file path
from the text field

This will retrieve and store the file path from the text field in the
FilePanel when the test is executed.

I'm unsure how to use the testPlanName variable to open the Test Plan it's
pointing to, I've had a look through the API's and the source code, but
nothing is jumping out at me as the way to open a Test Plan.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

P.S
Sorry to ask all of this, but my managers really want this type of
functionality put into JMeter, and my java is limited best.

Re: External Module Controller

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 05/08/05, Steven Murphy <st...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Like I mentioned in my previous mail (Adding To The Menu), I have copied the
> ModuleController and ModuleControllerGUI classes to use as templates to
> create an External Module Controller object.
>
> So far I have altered the 'init' method in the ExternalModuleControllerGUI
> class so that it displays a FilePanel, to browse to the external Test Plan
> that is to be executed, and stopped the drop down menu from being displayed.
>
> I have also added the following code to the 'modifyTestElement' method
>
> testPlanName = new String(filePanel.getFilename()); // store the file path
> from the text field
>
> This will retrieve and store the file path from the text field in the
> FilePanel when the test is executed.

This needs to be stored in a Property, otherwise it won't be saved in
the JMX file.
And non-GUI mode won't work.

> I'm unsure how to use the testPlanName variable to open the Test Plan it's
> pointing to, I've had a look through the API's and the source code, but
> nothing is jumping out at me as the way to open a Test Plan.

Have a look a Load.java.

> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Make sure that the GUI only handles setting up the variables for the Controller.
GUIs are not invoked in non-GUI mode, so must not do anything related
to running the test.

> Cheers
> Steve
>
> P.S
> Sorry to ask all of this, but my managers really want this type of
> functionality put into JMeter, and my java is limited best.

An alternative would be to textually merge JMX files prior to running
the test plan.

This could be done with a scripting language.

S.