Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Cody Miller <co...@live.com> on 2012/03/30 15:01:54 UTC

And idea for OOo

Hello,

I have a really great idea for the OpenOffice Community. Almost every Office Suite has its own storage house (cloud drive) nowadays, and I was thinking that OOo should have its own too. But I was also thinking that not only could you retrieve your documents, but even edit them while your in the storage as well. That way, you could take and edit your documents wherever you are. This would be a huge step for the OOo community, and it may increase our popularity if accomplished. And if the popularity increase, that will mean more developers where be really to help worldwide. Please take my idea into consideration.

Thanks,

Cmiller

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Hennie Potgieter <pb...@gmail.com>.
Please cancel all emails to me.
Tkanks

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 2012-03-31 5:55 AM  Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 12:56 AM, Larry Gusaas<la...@gmail.com>**
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Good. You finally gave an useful response. Why didn't you do so in your
>>> first response to me?
>>>
>> I was not responding to you. i was responding to Cody Miller who asked the
>> original question.
>>

> Your first response to me was not to me? God, how dense can you be? I
> pointed out the fallacy in your response to the OP and you repeatedly gave
> meaningless responses. When I acknowledge that you finally gave an useful
> response you once again start belittling me.
>
> Do you have a PhD in obfuscation, alienation, and condescension? Is your
> ego so big you can't admit your response was inadequate?

Larry, if you were confused by my post or thought it was inadequate then I
sincerely apologize for my inability to make things clear to you.  Feel
free to ask questions in the future if you do not understand something I
write, on list or off.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.

_________________________________

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 2012-03-30 3:45 PM  Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> I think you are just being argumentative, looking at the microscopic
>> details without understanding the generality of the user's question or my
>> response.
>>

> I just responded to your question. "I don't see any technical reason why
> one could not code the same thing on other platforms.  Do you?"
>

>  If you disagree with my general statement that 3rd parties are best
>> positioned to provide cloud storage for OpenOffice, then I'd love to hear
>> your arguments.  If you are just going to correct my punctuation then you
>> might seek out another form of entertainment for your Friday evening.
>>

> I just corrected your inaccurate statement. "#1 is easy, and in fact is
> already done, via extensions."

The extension exists.  I linked to it.  The fact that a plugin only
supports Windows does not mean that it does not exist.  It only means that

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 2012-03-30 11:50 AM  Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Larry Gusaas<la...@gmail.com>**
>> wrote:
>>
>>  On 2012-03-30 8:00 AM  Rob Weir wrote:
>>>
>>>  #1 is easy, and in fact is already done, via extensions.  For example,

>>>  I don't see any technical reason why one could not code the same thing
>> on
>> other platforms.  Do you?
>>

> I 'm not a developer so I don't know. In the comments section of the link
> you posted there are requests for Mac and Linux versions going back to two
> years ago. The developer of the extension has not done so, nor have they
> responded to the suggestion.

OK.  I am a programmer and I say it is easy.   Cloud storage providers like
Amazon provide a REST API that is platform neutral.  One should be able to
write an extension that works on any OS that would be able to store
documents there.

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Yue Helen wrote:
> Cody has one
> more great idea which is to edit the document directly in the storage...I
> think he is talking about a web-based editor solution based on OO.
> Have we had such discussion before?

There is this prototype, and it's amazing to think that it is from 4
years ago...
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/ODF@WWW

This video shows it in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI0AEJkotzM&fmt=6

Then an OpenOffice.org "project" was started for it, but it has always
been silent. It used to live at http://odf-at-www.openoffice.org and be
an "incubator project" (unrelated to the Apache Incubator) but I can't
see it at http://www.openoffice.org/projects/incubator.html

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Yue Helen <he...@gmail.com>.
Besides the two solutions to use AOO together with storage, Cody has one
more great idea which is to edit the document directly in the storage...I
think he is talking about a web-based editor solution based on OO.

Have we had such discussion before?

Helen

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

#1 is easy, and in fact is already done, via extensions.  For example, this

#2 is harder.  The main issue is that open source projects are run by

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2012, at 6:20 AM, RGB ES wrote:
>
> > El día 3 de abril de 2012 15:03, Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>
> escribió:

> was
> that not
> in
> it
> worldwide.

> >> Hi Cody,
> >>
> >> I like the idea of web-based open-office editing and of cloud storage
> for
> >> openoffice.  Rob had a good point that there are hard costs involved
> with
> >> web-based clouds of our own, but there is no reason that we cannot do a
> >> feasibility study of the idea.  Knowing "the cost" is more powerful than
> >> merely knowing there is "a cost." (IMHO)
> >>
> >> Wolf
> >>
> >> --
> >> This Apt Has Super Cow Powers - http://sourcefreedom.com
> >> Advancing Libraries Together - http://LYRASIS.org
> >
> > There is an open source project called OwnCloud aimed to provide cloud
> services:
> >
> > http://owncloud.org/
> >
> > No idea how it works, though: I just read about it on planetKDE...
>
> The following was just announced:
>

> http://www.citrix.com/English/NE/news/news.asp?newsID=2323072&ntref=hp_promo_apache
>
> Citrix project -> Apache Incubator!
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

> > Ricardo

This is interesting news! I read a short piece about them changing the
license of their opensource cloud, but this is good news for the
feasibility of an openoffice extension to our own cloud.

-Wolf

Re: And idea for OOo

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Re: And idea for OOo