Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Amit Sharma <am...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/05 02:09:05 UTC

Memory Limit Exceeds in Map Only Job

Hi,
  We have a Map-Only job which runs files produced by chukwa and it works
like a charm. We have the "mapred.job.map.memory.mb" set to 1536m and it
works for hundreds of thousands of files that we process. However recently
we encountered an issue in which for two particular files, the process goes
beyond this number and quits with memory limit exceeded error. We did an
analysis of the records in the file and there is no issue. The max length of
the records is 4K. I looked at the heap dump and saw that the process does
not use more than 200 MB of heap memory. When i observe the process memory
usage using top i see the virtual memory of the process reaches almost 2GB
for the process. Any pointers as to how i can debug this issue? This does
not look like a heap memory issue and looks like more of native memory
issue.

How do i exactly find out whats causing the spike in memory?

Amit