Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/03 21:17:30 UTC

Fwd: Job is missing (was Re: java 5 build fails)

It's probably time to reopen the discussion about support for Java 1.5
in Axis2. My POV has always been that we should drop support for Java
1.5 only if there are good reasons to do so. Obviously the fact that
we no longer have a continuous integration system able to support Java
1.5 builds out of the box is a good reason. Note that it is still
possible to maintain Java 1.5 compatibility even if we build with
newer Java version (the Axiom and Axis 1.4 jobs are configured like
that), but this requires some work. Another good reason to drop
support for Java 1.5 is that it becomes increasingly difficult to keep
all dependencies compatible with Java 1.5 (e.g. there was a discussion
in the MIME4J project about that a couple of weeks ago).

Some people have pointed out that Java 1.5 is EOL for a long time now.
However, this only applies to Oracle's JRE. IBM still has a supported
WebSphere version (6.1) that runs on (IBM) Java 1.5. However, end of
support for that version is 30 September 2013, i.e. really soon. This
means that one argument in favor of keeping Java 1.5 support is about
to become irrelevant.

Andreas

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Some update on this issue: to avoid the issue, the latest Jenkins
version installed on builds.apache.org now tries to start the build
with Java 1.6 instead of 1.5 and to automatically configure the
compilation and test phases to use Java 1.5. This works for simple
and/or well designed builds (see e.g. Woden), but in case of Axis2,
this fails because the build does some compilation using Ant.

Since there have been no objections, I'm going to configure the Axis2
job with Java 1.6 and remove the Axis2-trunk-java-1.6 job.

Andreas